coralline algae is turning white

polarbear

For the past couple of days I have noticed that my coralline algae is starting to turn while in some places sad.gif . I have read that it will turn white if it sets outside of the water for a long period of time. I have noticed it more on the power head then anywhere else. This past weekend I took out almost all of the water so that I could move my tank to its new sand. I placed the live rock into a bucket which had the water in it that I took out of the tank; however, I left the power attached and exposed to the air for about 15 min (give or take some). What do you think is happening? Is it dying off becuase of the air? I dont have the water parameters yet becuase I need to get the water tested today. Please let me know what you thank. I have read so many different opinions online but would like to hear yours as well. Thank you.

Yes. It is probably die off from the move. the tank might be going through a small cycle too. Should recover in a couple of days to a week. I wouldn't worry to much about it. How long has it been in the tank since the move?

i didnt move the tank far. me and my buddy just moved it to another stand in the house. but the water was out for about 15 to 20 mins. its been back up and running for the last 5 days. Im hucking up a refugium and will have it fully going tonight. D you think this will help with the die off?

If I do a larger water change such that the coraline on my back wall gets exposed to air, the coraline turns white. Even if it is just for 5 mins, it will die off. Its not a big deal, it will regrow quickly if your Ca and Mg levels are right.

I wouldn't worry about it, just let it do its thing.

I used the same water that I took out of the tank before the move and out it back into the same tank. Ill get my levels checked on the way home. Is B-Ionic good to use on a 29 gallon tank? And should I use a drip method or just b put it in at once? Also, do I need the pumps off for this if I am running a refugium?

I use B-Ionic A and B and thier mag mix.

I dose every morning at the end of the dark period, after establishing a schedule with my alk/calc/mag tests. I just slowly pour it in the area of my sump with the most turbulent flow. Never had a problem.

On my 90 I plan on doing a drip type system as I imagine I will be adding considerably more of the stuff and think that would at least shock the area that it is being poured too if I did it all at once.