SPS Problems

mhart032

I recently picked up some new sps colony's a couple of birdsnest and some digi and some green slimer. they were under t5 lighting only they seem to be loseing color the digi seems to be getting very soft and very breakable. im not sure of the parameters of the tank they came from but mine are good no ammonia no nitrates ph is good, i running kalk and rowphos and carbon. i have the corals on the top of the tank with the MH bulb running 2 hrs a day so they can get used to it. Then im running the t5s 10 hrs a day. t5s are 1 6.7k 3 actinics the birdsnest is alittle less noticeable but the digi is the one that is doing the worst. i have moved it lower to mid level back to high and nothing seems to change it. all of my other sps corals are doing well in fact i have another peice of purple digi that seems to be growing like a weed. the green slimer is showing no signs of bleaching. i have noticed the pink birds seems to have stringy stuff hanging from it alot since the acquisition.

I always start with the simple ?s:

1. Did you acclimate them properly - i.e start them on your sand bed for a week, then slowly move them up towards the stronger light?

2. Has your tank seen a large change in parameters since the pieces have been in the tank?

3. What is the flow like over these pieces? I have a piece of green birdsnest that did ok in medium flow, then I moved it over to low flow and it is much happier.

i drip acclimated them, although i didnt put them on the sand bed. i added them to their spots right away. i had the digi on the sand bed for 3 days and it still was losing color. no big changes in the parameters since the additions. i had the digi in med flow like suggested by several sites. th birds nest is in the same flow med to high. i dont have a PH blowing directly at them or anything.

If the digi was losing color as in it was going from purple to brown, pink to green, etc, then I wouldn't be too worried and would chalk it up to the coral getting used to a new tank. If it is turning white, then that's a different story.

The other pieces might be going through some kind of light shock even though you aren't running your MH a lot.

Also, moving then around a lot can shock them as well as they need a while to get used to their new locations. I try to leave mine in place at least a week to see how they like their new location. Sometimes its hard to leave them there when they seem to be declining, but I have to remind myself that they are picky creatures who don't like big changes.

The Digi it going from nice green color to white. i can still see some of the polyps as on lastnight the birdsnest is doing the same turning white. the green birds seems to be doing ok. as well as the green slimer

Could be a couple of things:

1. burned tips due to high light output - move lower in tank or cut back on both MH & T5 light period.

2. tissue necrosis - if this is the case if you see the tissue receding quickly cut off the white part cutting a little into the good flesh place in the bottom of the tank in low flow.

Again, as you mention before you don't know the params of the tank you purchased them from so they may still be acclimating to their new home.

Something else just came to mind. Do you do any kind of dip before placing in your system?

Dave-

Is the birds in question the one you got from me? Is the white moving down from the tip? I know on our birds. the tips stay white when they are growing. The darrker tissue seems to fill in about 1/4 in from the tips

post-959-12513805661964_thumb.jpg

post-959-1251380606078_thumb.jpg

I was hoping to get those corals from ckimble, but you beat me to them! :(

I think your best bet, considering your params look alright, is to move the corals down-- at least to the bottom third of the tank. I would also consider placing the corals to the sides of your mh and not directly underneath. The intensity of the mh lamps are probably the reason for the bleaching.

isent there some kind of bacteria that is required to keep sps? I was under the impression that it takes a while for it to populate to a safe level. Does anyone know if I am right? Please educate..

I don't think there are any specific known bacterias required for sps to thrive. The primary reason for waiting to add SPS is likely because they are finicky/sensitive corals and established tanks are more stable in terms of chemistry and biology.

Daniel