rules for selling and buying in the Forums

Reybeast

I've sold and bought items on ARC and MAAST, and I have a question:

buyer "A" PMs you first and says "I can come over this weekend". Buyer "B" PMs you after buyer A, and says "I can be there in an hour".

what are the rules on who you sell to? First with cash in hand? Do you have to wait for buyer A since he PM'd first?

I know I've been beat to the sellers house before and it wasnt a good feeling to go over there and what I was going to get was gone before I got there, even though he knew I was coming for it. What are y'alls thoughts on this?

I'm leaning to the cash in hand gets it first, but it seems rude to do this if someone PM'd the seller first.

Rey

I've been hit with the same thing. The default presumption (has been wrong in the past) is first respondant has the first shot at an item. If any other convention is being used, I for one appreciate if it's called out in the posting.

Of course common sense applies. If someone says they can't pick up for a week I think the seller is of course welcome to say they don't want to wait and have other offers. Likewise for buyers with reputations for backing out of sales or, as I heard about recently, agreeing to buy something then showing up and trying to negotiate the price.

Ultimately there are no rules but i think it is common courtesy that if you tell someone you are selling the item to them to not sell it to someone else. I usually will put "pending" on an item if it is pending for someone but they haven't picked it up. And if you are in a situation where you have to back out of a sale for any reason on either side you should contact the other party involved as soon as possible and just be upfront and honest about the situation.

it's first come, first served, when i'm the seller. unless it is in the same day, holding an item for a couple hours never killed anyone.

i'm sure most people don't want to have to look at what they are trying sell for days, but instead sell their item asap. but if they do end up selling it before buyer A can pick it up, then all you can do is notify buyer A asap and letting them know that you need the money now and that buyer B was more convenient. and if they get pissed, who cares. You as the seller deserve the convenience of a quick sale

like today i'm selling my halide to someone at around 3-4

and then another person called asking for my halide and tank he said he could show up around 12-1

i would much rather sell both to the second buyer, but since the first buyer contacted me first, and i am not having to hold the halide for more than a day, i will just hold the halide for the first buyer.

it's all just depends on the sellers prefference of how much and how soon they need the money, but it is vital that they establish this with the customer as soon as they can to avoid any frustration

When I am busy and trying to buy or sell something, it can get hard to keep track. But I usually call to confirm before I come. If it gets sold before then I assume that it is all fair game. If someone explains to me that they have the money, just need to get here after work, I list it pending and wait for them. If they dont make it here when they said they would be here, it gos up for sale, and I call back first in line. It keeps it simple and easy for me. ARC is awesome for its buying and selling forum alone. A great way to meet people and get into the hobby. Thanks all.

I am certainly all about who ever showed a true enthusiasm. The person that sends a PM gets my attention the most. Anyone can shout out in a thread but it takes real balls to send a formal PM stating an intention to buy AND A DAMNED PHONE NUMBER to contact them with.... Seriously how hard is it to leave some forking contact info? So here is how I break it down.

1st in line. The person that states an interest in the thread and also leaves a "PM sent" notice. A proper PM stating an intention to buy, when available, and a phone number.

2nd in line. A person that sends a PM with a contact info.

Tie for 3rd place. A person that sends a PM or replies to a thread saying "hey I want to buy that", and then nothing else. To be honest I generally just giggle and ignore those ones.

People seem to have forgotten that some of us actually still have to work to meet ends meet, not sure how some of you do it. Next is the fact that some of us have to build those cushy offices that many of you work inside of while constantly browsing online. That leads me to my next point, not all of us can be online all the time. If you send me just a PM it could be a week before we exchange our next PM's and guess what? I've already gotten rid of that fabulous item you wanted to the guy that either left me a number or actually picked up that phone of theirs and called me at the number I sent them in the PM. Basically I hate trying to completely wrap up the transaction solely online and never really sell that way. Also being that I get into these weeks that I work 16 hour days I totally understand that if I cannot get away to make the transaction happen then the frag I had hoped to claim might be sold to someone else.

• 4 weeks later...

Guess I agree with the overall consensus.

And I think CRM is correct in reminding us that many people don't have jobs that allow them to surf and/or make calls at will. However I do disagree where some mentioned that it can be too much trouble to keep track. I'm talking about the serious potential buyers. They pm, say they want it and leave a number or ask how to pick it up. Those people I give 24 hours to pick up, usually. One day rarely makes a difference unless something's crashed and at that point you're probably not going to be able to pick and choose your buyer anyway.

So to recap;

First - Committed to buy, contact info left, agreed upon place to exchange within the next 24 hours (possibly longer).

I also expect courtesy from locals as a buyer and seller. Hopefully we're giving friends on here a better deal than CL or ebay with the expectation it will come full circle some day. I'm new to this board (not to the hobby) but I've seen this kind of generosity on here and other boards that really helps foster a supportive community.

If you can't wait to sell the item I would make sure to put in your posting, "First to bring cash gets the item, no holds!". However you have to realize that you'll run a lot of people off as they'll think they probably missed out and just won't call or pm.