40g shallow rimless SPS tank

olaggie01

I was hoping to continue my 60g tank that I had in Dallas, but upon moving it to storage and then to Austin, the front corners of the tank were chipped. The tank still holds water, but I don't feel comfortable having the tank in a rental house. So, I figured that I would buy or build another tank. I was originally going to buy a 100g AGE tank in Houston, but after talking with my wife, I decided to use my old glasscages sump (24x24x16) as a display tank. This tank fits perfectly on my stand and after a few modifications (drilling a hole and attaching an overflow), will work nicely as a display tank.

I painted the back of the tank with black and dark blue but I have no idea how it will work until I get water into it.

Some equipment specs:

40 gallon display (24x24x16)

700 gph overflow with 1.5" drain from glassholes.com

20g long sump

ATI sunpower 6x24w T5 fixture

ATB 840 v1.5 skimmer (delivered soon hopefully)

Profilux controller with dosing station (bailing method)

Grey Seas Aquatics Kalk reactor

10-15g top off tank

2 - 35g water storage tanks in the garage (still finishing up plumbing on these)

Ocean runner 3500 return (~600 gph)

2 - 6055s tunze pumps

2 - 6025 tunze pumps modded

3/4" sea swirl for the return

I'm not sure what tunze pump I will run in the tank, I will see how much flow is required. I'm going to run a shallow sand bed (seaflor grade sand) along with minimal rock work in the display (due to short height). I will put additional rock in the sump as needed.

Chris

The tank has rocks, sand and water in it. I'm going to sit back and wait for a few weeks until around Labor day until I get my corals. I may buy a fish or two, but who knows.

On to some pictures:

Tank with sand

with_sand.jpg

Close up with Seaswirl and glass-overflow.com drain and blue/black background

top_seaswirl.jpg

Tank with rock (about 75lbs of rock, there will be much less when I aquascape.

first_rock.jpg

From office doors

side_shot_40g.jpg

Simple plumbing (1" drain, 1" return)

plumbing_.jpg

WOW! Great build! Nice equipment!!! How long you been in the hobby?

Dustin

Oh Just a thought! Have you thought about ditching the bulky Tunze's and going with a Vortech? You wont regret it on this small of a tank.....wink.gif

Thanks Dustin.

I've been in the hobby off/on since 2001. I had a small 10g for a while, then went with a 120g for 2 years, before taking it down and finally setting up the 60g for about a year. I hope to have this 40g up for a few years and then move up to 3-400g size.

I have considered it, but I don't think that my controller will work with Vortechs, plus the nanostreams are pretty little compared to the big'uns.

Your rig is very nice! Please keep feeding photos over the next 6-12 months so we can watch the show!

Mike

Will do. Skimmer comes in on Monday and then hopefully some new fish next week. Corals will be in over Labor Day.

Looks like the overflow turned out well. How is it running?

Running well. A little noisy, but that is due to my return pump I think. I still haven't hooked up the iwaki yet, perhaps this weekend. I'd like to get that project (water change tanks) finished. I'll get some pictures up of it soon.

Very nice! I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.

I think you'll be very happy with the Tunze powerheads. I have a 48g SPS set up as a peninsula style tank, and am using the same pumps: 2 6055 and 2 6025. Because it's peninsula, I only have pumps on one end and they provide plenty of circulation all over the tank. On a black background, they are not at all obtrusive.

Very nice! I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.

I think you'll be very happy with the Tunze powerheads. I have a 48g SPS set up as a peninsula style tank, and am using the same pumps: 2 6055 and 2 6025. Because it's peninsula, I only have pumps on one end and they provide plenty of circulation all over the tank. On a black background, they are not at all obtrusive.

I agree. I'm not sure that I'll run all 4 pumps, since the tank is only 16" deep, but we will see. I had all 4 pumps on the 60g cube, but I think I might be able to get away with just 2 modded 6025s.

Hey Chris I really like your set up, especially the lights and the Profilux Plus. I didn't see the Profilux dosing pump though, is it underneath the stand? I too have the Profilux controller and the ATI fixture and was consedering the new dimable powerbar that's out. Have you seen it yet?

Hey Chris I really like your set up, especially the lights and the Profilux Plus. I didn't see the Profilux dosing pump though, is it underneath the stand? I too have the Profilux controller and the ATI fixture and was consedering the new dimable powerbar that's out. Have you seen it yet?

Clint, I have seen the new powerbar. Pretty sweet with the 2 way bus they have installed in it to monitor the activity of the device. I'm debating upgrading to the P3, just depends on what the money situation looks like in Sept.

The dosing pump is still in my fish box. I've got to get a top-off water tank and then setup the ATO and dosing pumps. I'll probably just run kalk for now, and once it can't keep up, then I'll start with bailing. Might make things simpler in the end.