Okay - New Anemone

Nurse Nini

Okay, the BTA died. I went a got a little LTA that the clowns that I bought were all over at the store.

The clowns are all over him/it now, keep going through him and rubbing all over him, but he's not doing anything!

He has hardly changed at all since I put him in. Is he stressed? Is this normal?

I really don't want him to be dead too, two of them within a week...I won't get to buy anything else for a while!

what about nitrate nini. anemones are really sensitive to nitrate levels. from my experience they will not tolerate levels above 15ppm for long. i would check that, but otherwise dont bother it much. some will remain closed for hours esp in a new tank with clowns messing with it. give it some time.

Okay, thanks. I just wanted to make sure that he sounded okay.

Steve tested my water, he said that they were all good. I don't remember all the tests, those are just some I remember. Hopefully he'll look better in a few days.

Where are you buying your corals at?

From her post in the other thread, I think she gets her stuff at Horizon, over on Anderson Mill. I had been wondering how that store is. They're fairly new, I believe, but pretty close to where you live. Have any experience with them?

Where are you buying your corals at?

From her post in the other thread, I think she gets her stuff at Horizon, over on Anderson Mill. I had been wondering how that store is. They're fairly new, I believe, but pretty close to where you live. Have any experience with them?

Yes, I've been buying pretty much everything for my tank from Steve at Horizon. He is a really nice guy, full of helpful information, and never makes me feel stupid. (WHich I can say that some stores in the Austin area have) His prices are good too.

When he opened he had more fresh water fish too, that's why I started going to him. I have a Caeclian Worm (T.natans) which is the king of my big freshwater tank. Anything that messes with him gets thrown in the pond! :(

Sorry, got OT there...I've been going to him for a couple of years and he has never done me wrong.

I highly recommend him.

Steve is a great guy and will spend as much time as you want talking reef stuff. The only problem is he is a one man show so his tanks are dirtier than I would like to see. I have never had any problems with anything I have bought there though.

Where is this Horizons store? (sorry, Im new here!)

Nurse Nini, how did you acclimate the LTA? My limited experience with them has been the more careful the acclimation, the better luck. I had a rose BTA that I drip-acclimated for a hour and he lived for many years. The one before that I did a short acc of maybe 15 minutes. He lived about a month. Just a thought.

Where is this Horizons store? (sorry, Im new here!)

Nurse Nini, how did you acclimate the LTA? My limited experience with them has been the more careful the acclimation, the better luck. I had a rose BTA that I drip-acclimated for a hour and he lived for many years. The one before that I did a short acc of maybe 15 minutes. He lived about a month. Just a thought.

I drip acclimated him for about 45 minutes. I'm still not sure about him. But we did discover last night that two of the new clowns died while we were gone this weekend. We tested everything and the salinity was really high. I don't know how it went from a normal range to high in a week, but it did. We did a water change, I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the info. fish.gif

How's the anemone doing? I just got a rose BTA from Aquadoc yesterday that I'm really excited about.

You said you did a water change when you noticed the high salinity. You might just want to replace a little salt water with fresh water. Just do it a little at a time until you get to the salinity you want. Be careful with the swingarm hydrometers. They can be off sometimes, and you have to make sure there's not any bubbles stuck to the arm which can throw off the reading. I just bought a refractometer the other day. It's a lot easier to work with and I trust it more. Could be that when you mixed up your last batch of water change water (before you noticed the high salinity) the hydrometer made you add too much salt. dontknow.gif

I'm not sure how he's doing...Apparently there is a sign on the bottom side of the rock in the furthest back corner that says, "ATTACH HERE SO NO ONE CAN SEE YOU!" confused1.gif

I haven't tried to mess with changing anything around yet, both myself and my husband are getting frustrated with the tank. We have lost all of our clowns. We have decided that it isn't meant to be for us to have clowns, so we're just going to leave it as is for a little bit, then we'll try tangs.

Thanks for all the info amd advice!

If you can't keep clowns don't try Tangs. They are harder to keep. Something has to be wrong with your parameters if you keep losing fish. Maybe try taking a sample to a different store to get it tested and see if they come up with the same results.

i agree. it would be best to stop and identify what is wrong before adding any more animals. try some more thorough testing at a different store. Am, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, Salinity. also make note of temp, temp swings (right before lights go off at night and right before lights come on in the morning). same thing with Ph, try to see how far your values are swinging from PM to AM before the lights come on in the morning.

Oh, don't get me wrong, we're not buying anything else until we know we have everything figured out.

Everything else is fine in the tank, but I'm sure that those chromis could live through a tornado! And the shrimp, snails, conchs, corals probably react differently to different things. I'm home now, so I should probably see if I can't get a good look at the LTA.

We have the tests for pH, NH and Nitrates, and they are all good. We just tested Saturday.

Steve told me to check the pH in the AM and PM too, I just haven't done it yet. I guess I should start that tonight.