How do you get a Wrasse out of na overflow box? - UPDATE!

reefman

My pink Fairy Wrasse jumper into the overflow this afternoon in my corner tank. I can hardly even see more than about 4 inches down into it. I did get a glimpse of it once, so it seems to be fine. I've set up the drain to go straight into the chamber of the sump so if it does come through the hose, it doesn't get caught on the trickle filter and die. It should go right into the sump. I tried to seal off the hose and raise the level of the water in the overflow box in hopes of catching it or getting it out, but that didn't work. Anything else besides maybe dropping some food back there every now and then, and hope he comes out into the sump?

Stephen

Oh and the durso tube is a piece of tube used in the overflow to regulate the overflows height, crashing water sound and suction noises. Durso is one type, stockmans is another name for Durso. Some compaines inlude only a piece of pvc with foam for the pick up tube. Removing it will cause the water to suddenly disappear in the overflow causing your wrasse to find itself in the sump.

Hope things work out. I have sent you a PM regarding my experience. I forgot to include in their to make sure that your drain line is large enough in diameter to easily pass your fish. I have a PVC drain that is 1.5" ID, so it was no problem once he got past the 3/4" ID bulkhead and connection with the PVC. If it had been 3/4 all the way to the sump I am not sure he would have made it, but it all depends on the size of the fish.

Best of luck.

Thanks everyone for the info. There is a couple of things I think I need to do before I actually try to flush the o/f box, so I probably won't try to do it until tomorrow. I will post an update and let everyone know how it turned out.

Stephen

Wrasse was rescued (that sounds like Elmer Fudd) this morning. As I was prepping everything to try to flush the o/f, I was getting everything out of the sump and we saw him in the corner. He had already washed down through it. We thought he was dead (we keep forgetting Wrasse's will play dead) until I tried to net him and he moved. I got him on the second attempt, knowing he was at least partially alive, and put him in my critter carrier in the tank. At first he looked pretty bedraggled, but he must have just been dirty from laying in the sediment. anyway, he sprang back real quick. We released him into the tank about an hour later, and seems to be doing fine. He is eating well and is out like normal, acting like he's glad to be back in the tank.

Looks like this one might have a happy ending.

Thanks to all for everyone's help and suggestions.

Stephen