Trading my Doggie for Corals

I hope this doesn't offend dog lovers, but I need to re-home my 3 year old mini-schnauzer, Akila. She is sweet and loving, but I can't keep her where I have moved. I'm asking for a good home and would like some nice corals or fish in exchange to put in my 75g tank.

She's got all her shots, is spayed, is microchipped, and has a 5 month supply of Frontline flea and heartworm treatment. Let me know if interested.

post-914-12469141599374_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Me? You really don't want to know my feelings reefpug. This isn't the type of "I need help placing my dog" kind of emails or posts I like to see at all! Yes, I do rescue, but I don't support people giving up their animals for such unavoidable reasons. Everyone does realize that most apartment complexes allow dogs right? If I can find places for friends with Rotts to rent, then surely a place could be found that allows such a small dog. I personally feel this is the most irresponsible of things to do to these poor animals. If you aren't homeless or in a position to where you can't care for yourself, then there is always something that can be done to keep your animal. And to ask for something in return for not committing to this life you brought into your home...one that solely relies on you for love, food and happiness? I think that's outrageous. I dog is suppose to be part of the family...how can people just get rid of a family member so easily? I just lost my 11 1/2yr female Rott two weeks ago and to let her go was the hardest thing I've had to do....and she was sick. I couldn't imagine the last 11yrs without her.

Sorry everyone, but I am offended because this is part of what use to keep me up at nights worrying about dogs, what I could do, what I couldn't do, etc. As most of you know, I rescue (mostly Rottweilers) and I do it because my heart breaks for these animals. It's part of who I am and even thought I'm slowing down on things, that desire to help them will never leave. I've lost 5 dogs in the past 1 1/2 yrs. I was by their side until the end. I feel that anyone that doesn't do that for their animal is just a coward! I have rescued hundreds, if not into the thousands, of dogs. Each one I took in I took in with the committment to that animal for it's entire life. I never want it to be passed around like hand-me-down clothes or end up in the shelters or on the streets again. I will always take back the dogs I placed, no matter how inconvenient it may be, how broke I am or how stressed for time I am. I stay true to my committment, which most people can't seem to do for some reason.

This year alone I got back a boy I adopted out a year ago, one I adopted out 4yrs ago and now has bone cancer so will be staying, and a girl I adopted out 3yrs ago that moved to CA and was brought all the way back to Texas to me. I have EIGHT dogs IN my house right now. I am away at work from 8a.m. to 6:30p.m. I have very little time for all these animals, my 4 fish tanks and my frogs, but I committed to each and every one of them so I make it happen! And ya know what, I rarely complain about it. I have said recently "oh man, I don't want any more dogs". I don't...I want a break from having to bring more in, but I made that decision years ago. Whatever happens, we'll get through it.

I have seen so many dogs just treated like crap because the owners didn't want to take a little extra time, come up with a little extra money for food or pet deposits, etc. I have seen hundreds of people make life work even in the toughest of times without giving up their pets. Unfortunately animals are considered property and people will continue to treat them like objects instead of living creatures with feelings. Nobody here can tell me that this dog will not be utterly confused when it's in a strange home with strange people. Wondering what it did wrong to be taken away from the only person it cared about. Sure, they adjust (most of them), but shame on people for making them have to go through that when it's almost always unavoidable.

Okay...I'm done. I am sorry, but this is a subject I just can't shut up about. People just have no idea how bad it is for animals these days. If you guys saw even half of what I've seen...some of the situations I've taken animals from, you may get a glimpse at my frustration. It all comes down to people...people are the only reason 15000 (+/-) are killed in one of our shelters every year.

Now that I've had you read my feelings on the matter...what about some advice. Well I wish I would have been asked before you moved because I would have said cough up the cash and pay for a pet deposit. If you can afford a salt water tank, you can afford a pet deposit. I don't know much about this breed and unfortunately don't have any resources for rehoming it. Swapping out for coral? Still a dumb idea. You should be more concerned about the quality of home rather than what you can get for the dog. When looking for a home, look for one that's better than yours. Yours obviously wasn't committed enough and you want to put that dog in the best possible situation. Call their vet if they have dogs to make sure they keep them vetted. Visit their home to make sure it's not a dump with things laying around that a dog could get into...and the fence is secure so they aren't getting out. Make sure they will keep it inside because no animal should be out in this heat. And always tell them that you will take it back if they can't keep it...people don't always listen, but hopefully they will do this instead of dumping it at a shelter. Yes, even these little purebred dogs end up in our shelters!

Dena