Need Opinions

cheetum

Looking at going with a wave maker for my 110 It's 72" long & I want to get more natural flow than I get from my koralia 4's Just wanted to know which would be the better? The Tunze Nano, the Wave2K, or the VorTech ? I've only seen the nano in action but I'm told they all work well. Any feed back pos. or neg would help ! T.I.A. :D

Never been a fan of the Vortech after seeing it fall apart in one of Fishypets old tanks. The Vortech is no different than any of the Tunze 7201 type streams, it is only a pulsing powerhead. The Tunze wavebox actually works with the tank to raise and lower the water inside of the tank. The longer the tank the better, at least with the larger wavebox. The Wave2K is a neat product and actually works very well. Plus you can speak directly to the manufacturer who will build one to suit your needs. The only bad thing is that they are large and obtrusive. It is basically a large paddle in a box that turns over via a motor attached with a fan belt. There are corresponding slits in the box so as one side of the paddle spins over the slit it intakes water, as it comes back around to another slit the water is then forced back out.

I've always preferred the Tunze wavebox. The nice thing about the wavebox is that you can still run your K4's in the background for added flow while the wavebox continues to wash the tank back and forth creating cross currents.

You saw my 90 bow front... I had my vortec on that and it did ok, but I wasnt completely satisfied with its performance in there ESPECIALLY for the price I paid. I moved it to my new tank and It exceeded my expectations. I can have a 2 1/2 inch wave going in there and it has a night mode and several other modes you can switch through. This being said I can only tell you about the vortec because I've only used this product and none of the others. I think the bow on my 90 gal is what made everything so wierd but other than that it does very well. I have seen the tunze wave box on caferacermike's tank and in the display tank at Aquatech and I am convinced that that is a very good way to go if you have room for it. Good luck V.

Edited by JAY-ROC

Dave what kinda wave are you getting? My tank is 72'' long but only 18'' deep, so Im in the same boat as Cheetum tryin to figure out flow. $800 for 2 vortech's is outta the question for me right now. I would also like to see what people have to say about the wave2K's.

Vernon is your tank 72'' long?

Thanks

Dustin

I have a nice 1"+ wave. I had to put my K4's in the back pointing up since my overflow is in the middle of the tank. Everyting seems to be happy. The nice thing I discovered is I always hit my rockwork with a turkye baster to clean up an junk left on it. I did the turkey baster thing and no junk on the rock. OMO, you will still need some follow over your corals.

Dave-