Nitrates in Corner Tank Update

reefman

Thought I would start a new thread to give an update on the battle I'm waging with high Nitrates in my Corner Tank.

First of all, thanks to everyone who gave input and ideas. You will see below that I have taken several of the suggestions posted. Also, my apologies for the length of the post, but I feel like I need to cover all the bases.

As of now, my Nitrates as of a few hours ago today are still somewhere between 20 - 30 ppm. This is after two 35% - 50% water changes, waiting a week, and doing another 10% - 15% water change.

Last Saturday, after the last big water change that I did Friday night, I tore the sump apart (I just happened to discover that my Exquisite Wrasse must have jumped into the overflow. In the process of trying to grab him (he came out of the discharge hose from the tank), he fell into the sump. So I tore the sump apart trying to get to him to save him. I did finally get to him, and he was still alive at the time, but I haven't seen him since and am figuring he died later in the tank.)

So since I have already pulled stuff out of the sump, I went ahead and did some cleaning. What I noticed in the process of getting the Skimmer out, was I had about a 1/4" of sediment in the bottom of the sump. I got my siphon stuff out and started doing a water change, sucking up the sediment as I went (this is the 10% - 15% water change mentioned above). I then went after the first chamber where the bio-balls were, and this is where I got surprised. This chamber consists of from top to bottom: bio-balls, two burlap looking bags that appear to be filled with argonite, then another layer of bio-balls.

I know I had mentioned replacing the bio-balls with live rock, but when I found these burlap bags I decided to shelve that idea until I had a chance to post this update on the forum. I did pull out all the bio-balls and burlap bags and rinsed them off/out with tap water. I also made sure I sucked up all the sediment in the sump, and rinsed out the sponge/filter that is the last stage before the water moves to the last chamber to be pumped to the chiller and back to the tank. In addition to these other steps I pulled the Tunze Skimmer out, ran it through a solution of white vinegar and water for 12 - 14 hours, ran it more through several batches of tap and then RO/DI water (to make sure I had thoroughly rinsed out all the vinegar) and put it back in the sump.

I had thought that the sediment I found had to be the source of my Nitrate problem. I was mistaken. The only thing that seems to have had an affect on the Nitrates are the very aggressive water changes, and those only to the affect of somewhat less than the volume of water changed.

I know I have said this before, but with a 90 gal tank, and over 200 lbs of live rock, plus a sump, I'm pretty amazed and frustrated that I am still having this problem.

Here is what I still think I should do, in the order I should do it in (please, please feel free to add or change the priority I have these listed in):

--Change out the bio-balls and burlap bags with live rock/rubble

--Re-seed the de-nitrifying bacteria with Fritz #, or whatever its called (have done this before, but seems to only work temporally. Although if I'm going to replace the burlap bags and bio-balls with LR, seems like a logical step).

--Continue 10% - 15% water changes

--Add/try AZ-NO3 Nitrate Eliminator: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...dproduct=CP2151 (my problem with this is that is seems like a temporary solution, not getting to the root of the problem)

--Any micro-algaes that soak up Nitrates, like Cheato or Culpera?????

--build a Coil Denitrator from DIY plans (Since I finished to overflow, sump, skimmer, chiller, tank loop I'm feeling a little more confident in trying to build something like this). Here are the pans I would probably work from: http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/nitrateco.../a/aa092702.htm. Any one with a better set of plans and/or easier to understand please speak up.

--Purchase the sand bed Vac from Ancient Mariner: http://www.ancientmarinerinc.com/acquarium...avelvacuum2.htm (seems risky and expensive, but if it works could obviously use it over and over again. Also, would rather do this than sand bed exchange).

--Sand bed exchange (last, last, last option. Have been reading the thread on sand beds on this forum. This to me seems like a complete breakdown of the tank, which puts numerous corals and all my fish at risk.)

Like I said, anything additional or if I seem off, please pipe in.

Stephen