Such a thing as too much Actinic light?

reefman

I picked up a used Coralife T5 fixture, and was thinking about adding it to my wave tank. I currently have an Outer Orbit fixture on that tank. It has two (2) dual actinics (one 420nm, the other 460nm). We feel like it washes out the blue color, and would like more blue and coral fluorescence like my corner tank does.

Can there such as thing as having too much actinic light on a tank? The dual T5 actinics would be in addition to what the outer Orbit is putting out.

Stephen

Never heard of anyone having too much actinic light on a tank. The only way it could possibly too much would be just the tank looking too blue for your eyes. The corals can take all the blue light you can throw at them.

Can't. The only bulbs that fit that Outer Orbit are the Sunpaq duals, which have the one 420nm and 460nm. I suspected the 460's were the culprits all along. Will putting more 420nm light into the tank get me more blue and fluoresce?

Stephen

My opinion would be not much of more blue. Definitely more fluoresce! Why cant you find bulbs for the orbit? Have you checked companies like nano tuners and catalina aquariums? For instance the only 420 bulbs for my lights can only be found at nanotuners.com. I realize yours is bigger but you might be able to find a company that makes what you want. I have not seen a use for 450nm lights yet. Maybe some knower might be able to tell us to why even bother with them :D

I'll check both places, but only thing I can find for a dual 48" (which is the same ones that came with it) are the Sunpaq's. I guess its so far there isn't enough of a market for that lamp to get others to make one for it.

Stephen