Icecap 250W electronic ballast review

discuspro

I'm looking to get one of these because I've got an older pendant "black-box" magnetic ballast that I think is wearing out bulbs prematurely.

Anyone selling one, or else I'll got to marinedepot.com and get one if everyone has had good experience with them.

Lastly, does this ballast require manufacture reconfiguration depending on what brand bulb or type you use?

I have that ballast, well actually 2 of them. They work flawlessly. I believe they will work with anything except the Radium bulbs as they need (I think I read) HPS ballast, high pressure sodium, to run correctly. Mine are ready to fire DE, which they are, and mogul.

I have 2 of them as well but I would go with PFO HQI if I had to do it over again. Strictly based on the higher PAR values that those ballasts put out. Otherwise I have no complaints. You can check PAR for different type bulbs and ballasts here: www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com

I some what recently got a Hamilton SE 250W 14K bulb and have run it on my older black-box ballast. It has definitely lost its blueish look that it had when I first got it, which is expected but I've also thought my old ballast may be running it too hard or something.

I figured if I used an electronic ballast the bulbs might last longer, especially the color characteristics. Would it be true if par values were higher maybe the bulb color or life may be shorter? Also, maybe if I converted to HQI I would also have better results holding bulb color longer.

By the way, either of you looking to sell an electronic ballast?

My ballasts were used for 6 months when I got them. I got new bulbs, Pheonix 14K's. They mellowed a bit after about 2 months. They've stayed the same since then. They are both 250w DE. I'd have to wonder how quickly a mag ballast could wear out a single ended bulb as they are meant to work together. I'd be more worried about bulb flicker or color warming and cooling happening all the time with a worn bulb. In construction we work under old temporary lighting generally made of 400w mag ballast. When that stuff is a year old and has been running 24/7 you know it. You get sick just being near it as it begins changing colors and or flickering constantly.

Any extras to sell? Not me. Heck I'm looking for about 3 more.