Removal Of Live Rock?

Iplantz

Well I'd like to redo my aquascaping and remove some live rock in my 30g Finnex, but Im wondering if it will induce a new cycle? Total water volume is 25g or so, and I have tons of live rock (moved from my 55g), that I'd put at 45lbs or so. Its cramped and Im worried that the dense rock mass is trapping detritus, and that not lots of flow is going around. Any thoughs?

well i dont know for sure about it starting a new cycle but i can tell u my experience, once a month i go around and stir up the sand on teh bottom a little bit and usually there will be a cloud of what looks like the same stuff in your protien skimmer. My skimmer goes crazy till it clears up but the sand stays cleaner. So in theory it would be like you moving a rock. Ive never had any problems. But thats just my report.

well i dont know for sure about it starting a new cycle but i can tell u my experience, once a month i go around and stir up the sand on teh bottom a little bit and usually there will be a cloud of what looks like the same stuff in your protien skimmer. My skimmer goes crazy till it clears up but the sand stays cleaner. So in theory it would be like you moving a rock. Ive never had any problems. But thats just my report.

I just went through a similar issue with my tank. I had to remove a nussence fish and when I did I had to pull out most of my LR. When I did I removed a base piece that had totally fused with my live sand which had never been disturbed. All Im doing is a water change every 3 days to keep my toxins at bay. Unsettling a sand bed can release stored amounts of methane and nitrogen gas. So far I have not lost anything or incurred any adverse reactions and I actually cracked my sand bed in half!

I just went through a similar issue with my tank. I had to remove a nussence fish and when I did I had to pull out most of my LR. When I did I removed a base piece that had totally fused with my live sand which had never been disturbed. All Im doing is a water change every 3 days to keep my toxins at bay. Unsettling a sand bed can release stored amounts of methane and nitrogen gas. So far I have not lost anything or incurred any adverse reactions and I actually cracked my sand bed in half!

This nails what I was going to say. I killed off most of my fish in my 24g once by re-arranging the liverock after a few years. I kicked up a lot of "gunk" and it zapped the oxygen levels in the tank overnight ;) Now, at that time I wasn't running a skimmer, so that might have made things a lot worse.