Bad Test Kit

chark

My coral have been looking a little off. So I took my water to Aquatek and asked them to check my water. I found that my KH was 5. My API test kit said it was 8. The kit was only one month old. I bought a new test kit from Aquatek. I will dose to get it back to 8.

Thanks Bruce.

My coral have been looking a little off. So I took my water to Aquatek and asked them to check my water. I found that my KH was 5. My API test kit said it was 8. The kit was only one month old. I bought a new test kit from Aquatek. I will dose to get it back to 8.

Thanks Bruce.

I've had 2 API kits and I'll never have another one again. Both were off.

I'd switch to elos or tetra.

The tetra KH test kit is inexpensive and suppose to work well. I also will be changing all my test kits since all but Mg are API. Aquatek caries the elos. They are kind of expensive but killing my corals would be much much worse. Would you recommend elos for Ca.

The tetra KH test kit is inexpensive and suppose to work well. I also will be changing all my test kits since all but Mg are API. Aquatek caries the elos. They are kind of expensive but killing my corals would be much much worse. Would you recommend elos for Ca.

I ran through a couple of different brands looking for what worked and after trying several and talking to other ARC members, I'd recommend:

Elos: Nitrate

SeaChem: Ca and Mg. Both of these kits are great as they offer "baseline" solutions to test your kit in case you think they are off.

Tetra: KH. i also have the SEaChem KH test kit and it is ok, but a little harder to use as you have to drop the solution into a tray vs. into a vial and just shake it like on the Tetra kit. I tested the Tetra and SeaChem against each other and both gave the same readings.

I can't speak to Phosphate test kits as I still use my API kit for that. Why..well, I run phosguard 24x7 so I can't see myself having phosphates. Should probably break down and get a better test kit for those though as low phosphates is only *slightly* important in a reef tank...

I don't test for ammonia/nitrites or pH anymore.

I had a blog entry a while back about my testing two different API kits and getting 2 very different results.

All of the test kits are iffy.

Consider that most have a shelf life of X months. Sure you may have only had it for a month but how long ago was it packed? Last month or last year?

Elos are good, I noticed that Salifert has not yet been mentioned but about 3 years ago people wear beating each other up trying to get their hands on them- then suddenly folks turned a cold shoulder on Salifert. The new cool kid on the block is Merk. Seachem have always been considered a good bet plus they come in those great containers. Generally speaking it's the cheaper API and Tetra type kits that people claim to have problems with.

Mark as far as phosphate kits go, most of the affordable kits are of no use. If you see any mention of phos in one of those kits then your levels are already way to high. The Tunze and Merk kits can detect phos at levels much lower than any other kit and it's phosphate at these low levels that can cause algae to start growing.

Personally I've always felt that if you want it checked, take it to the stores with you. Most of us visit at least one shop a week if not 2 shops in the same day. Take a little water with you and compare the results from both shops. Usually the employees are well versed in the reading of results and the kits are used up frequently, thus being replenished with new agents often.

I did neglect to say that my only complaint about all the test kits (until you get into the expensive Tunze, LaMotte kits), is that you can't buy just refills, you have to buy a whole kit.

So now I have 10 Tetra test kit vials and absolutely no use for them. I don't understand why I can't just buy the testing solutions alone.

mike - I should get a low range Phosphate kit, but I'm thinking of going to the RF Fuel system, which will wipe any phosphates out anyways.