Coralife digital temp gauge

mcallahan

I picked up a coralife digital temperature gauge last week and the readings seem a little erratic. This morning it ready 79.0 degrees, then 2 minutes later it read 79.9 degrees. No lights were on and the window right next to the tank was open letting in the cold morning air.

The temp probe is in the overflow about half way down.

Does anyone else who has a digital temp gauge see such rapid fluctuations?

I do when I first put it into the water and it is adjusting to the temperature. I'm assuming it has some kind of delayed update.

I haven't had a chance to watch it over a period of time but I do have the Rancho temperature controller that I use to control my heater. I can tell a significant difference from the temperature read out on it versus the Coralife. I rely on the Rancho and just use the Coralife as a daily quick view to make sure everything is in check.

Hope that helps.

I do when I first put it into the water and it is adjusting to the temperature. I'm assuming it has some kind of delayed update.

I haven't had a chance to watch it over a period of time but I do have the Rancho temperature controller that I use to control my heater. I can tell a significant difference from the temperature read out on it versus the Coralife. I rely on the Rancho and just use the Coralife as a daily quick view to make sure everything is in check.

Hope that helps.

Hmm..seems like more and more the only coralife things I like are their light fixtures!

If nothing else, this could be a good excuse to get a ACIII...

I have never had problems with mine, but I have read on other forums that they can be real spotty. Some people complain of them just flat out failing, while others say they can be off by anywhere from a few degrees to 5 or more.

Coralife is basically junk- especially with that much of a swing and with ambient being cooler. I picked up one of those and wound up ripping it apart and decoding the ROM to figure out what it was doing. There were several programming faults I found, not the least of which is that the algorithm they use to smooth temperature readings is coded incorrectly. That is probably what is manifesting for you. Dratted poor quality offshore coding.

I trashed the thing. You can get more accurate readings from one of those LED things you paste on the side of the tank.

-Paul

I picked up a coralife digital temperature gauge last week and the readings seem a little erratic. This morning it ready 79.0 degrees, then 2 minutes later it read 79.9 degrees. No lights were on and the window right next to the tank was open letting in the cold morning air.

The temp probe is in the overflow about half way down.

Does anyone else who has a digital temp gauge see such rapid fluctuations?