My "Next" Tank - Acrylic or Glass?

reefman

Believe it or not, Nora and I are thinking about another tank to replace the Wave tank with next year. We would of course probably be going bigger (if I can continue to afford the water and electricity bills), somewhere in the 150 - 200 range in gallons.

I would be interested in hearing your opinions on glass versus acrylic. Also, is there a difference in acrylics (i.e. are there types that are more clear than others, more scratch resistant, anything else I'm not thinking of?

Stephen

I'm interested in the replies as well.

It's such a tough call. Acrylic is great because it is easy to work with. You can drill holes anywhere. Today's modern plastics do not yellow anymore and are much more scratch resistant. Acrylics tend not to "leak" later due to a failed seal. They have wonderful edges compared to silicone. Lighter.

But glass is the old standby. Ever faithful. Strong. Sturdy.

I myself plan to stick with glass for durability. I've seen way to many 2 year old acrylic tanks fogged over with scratches. I've heard horror stories from people saying someone tried to do a favor and clean their tank with windex only to find it hazed over. Glass tanks seem to have that ability to last 20+years. I'd wonder how many years of "scratches" an acrylic tank would have? Once while having a conversation with an lfs owner I was admiring a used acrylic tank. While chatting he noticed I admired the tank. Before I said anything he leaned over and said to me "glass". That was all he said about it and for some reason it stuck with me.