Leaving the lights on???

addboy

I believe in running a 24 hour cycle. I've seen a few tanks after a caulerpa spawn. Not pleasant. Keeping the lights on 24 helps prevent macro algae from going all asexual and melting. This is another benefit to add to not having PH swings. My PH drops from 8.43 day to 8.38 night.

• 2 weeks later...

24/7 is sort of the default answer/setting for lighting a fuge, but I believe that the light cycle should be altered based on the pH of the tank. If the pH is stable, by all means light the fuge 24 hrs. If there is a 0.3 to 0.5 or higher swing, then consider lighting the fuge 12-18 hrs on the reverse cycle.

Here is a question for everyone, Is there any reason to use any type of algae other than Chaeto. It grows fast, harvests nutr. and doesn't/rarely goes sexual, and does well with shading. Why use any Caulerpa sp.?

I don't see any reason to use anything other than Chaeto for nutrient control.

For aesthetic reasons, different species of caulerpa (and other macros) can be quite beautiful and useful (seahorse hitching, pod populations, etc.). There are some gorgeous planted tanks on RC and other boards.

But for straight filtering, you can't beat Chaeto, in my opinion.

From what i have read on other forums.. the only drawback to 24/7 lights on is that it hurts pod production.. has anyone here who has had their fuge lights on 24/7 experienced that?

I'll check later and see if I can find the thread where I read that and post a link...

I leave mine on a reverse cycle mostly for heat management. I have a 150W MH shop light growing the macro and those halides get pretty warm. The eat is not a problem in the winter but in the summer I have to keep an eye on my power draw or else I'm going to have to buy a big, expensive chiller. crybaby2.gif