Macrophotography

TyLee

Really good start Ty!

You might want to try turning off autofocus if you can, and also narrow up the aperture a little. That will give you a bit deeper focus. The depth of field you can hold with any particular focal length and distance is dependent on the lens aperture. The more you have to open the aperture to get enough light, the shallower the depth of field.

-Paul

Just picked up a used Sigma 105mm macro on ebay.

Camera is Canon XTI.

This is my first attemp at macro photography. Appreciate all criticism.

Ty.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/index.php?au...um=105&mid=

Really good start Ty!

You might want to try turning off autofocus if you can, and also narrow up the aperture a little. That will give you a bit deeper focus. The depth of field you can hold with any particular focal length and distance is dependent on the lens aperture. The more you have to open the aperture to get enough light, the shallower the depth of field.

-Paul

Thanks Paul.

I had it on manual focus and the camera on a tripod, flash off. For some reason I never could get a good focus.

I have that same camera. For some reason, your meta information didn't get uploaded with your album. Check out some of my photos and click on details to see my settings. What f-stop where you using?

Try turning on your mirror lock and setting the camera to do a timed shoot. Then set your f stop crazy high, like 22. You should get killer photos that way. (assuming the subject is still)

That would be the f stop (aperture).

Try setting it higher, walking up the stops until you get the focus you want.

The aperture walk to try is: 2.8 -> 4 -> 5.6 -> 8 -> 11 -> 16 -> 22.

You may have to tinker with shutter speed a bit at the higher stops.

-Paul

Thanks Paul.

I had it on manual focus and the camera on a tripod, flash off. For some reason I never could get a good focus.