What's all over my glass?

chrisfowler99

It's really hard to get a picture of it. It's kinda hair-like. Orange-red in color. It moves around with the circulation of the water.

It's all over the place. Wipes off easy with a Mag-float, but comes back soon.

Is this something that a clean-up crew would be taking care of?

on_glass.jpg

it does seem like it.

So I've got aiptasia and algae on a tank that hasn't shown any signs of a cycle after 2 1/2 weeks (rock was live and cycled, sand was dead). I used Seachem Stability for the first week...

Still too soon to add snails and peppermint shrimp?

Still too soon to add snails and peppermint shrimp?

It is never to early to add snails in my opinion (well, as long as they have something to eat). I have always cycled my tanks with a basic clean-up crew.

The peppermint shrimp though will probably be more susceptible to ammonia/nitrite spikes. But if you have not see any in a few weeks, it might be worth the risk to add a few. Plus, since you don't have anything else in there, they can concentrate on eating the aiptasia and not scavenging other food.

I started my new 90 gallon tank running with saltwater for about a 3 days. I then started to gradually add live rock from my old tank into my new tank over a span of a week. During this time, I mixed water from my 45 gallon with water from my 90 gallon and vice-versa. I am guessing about 2-3 gallons a day. I then got my ceramic rock into the tank and then started adding snails and crab from my old tank one at a time over the span of another week. I then added some live aragonite sand, which I got from a friend, and then after another couple of days of settling, I moved all my corals and livestock to my 90 gallon.

It's been like this for about a week now and everything seems to be great.

I am still running my 45 gallon with some liverock just in case my 90 gallon crashes.

The only thing I have lost is my rose anemone (pretty sad, since I had him for about 3 years) due to a mishap with a koralia and my blue hippo tang. I had bought a peppermint shrimp a while ago and thought I lost him in the 45 since I never saw him, but when I moved the corals and livestock over, I found him and he seems to be doing great in the 90.

To each his own though.

Anyways good luck with your tank!

chiu

Peppermint Shrimp added, staring at me...

Hopefully the shrimp will begin happily munching away as well.

:lol: At least he is out ... mine always hide. Though I did get a glimpse of one out this morning (lights were still out, and I think it had eggs).

Though they are slacking .. I think I saw an atispa this morning. :wub:

<_< At least he is out ... mine always hide.

I have a peppermint shrimp in my biocube at work and he hangs out on the upper back part of the tank. He frantically tries to walk on the underside of the water line to get food. So today I pinched a couple of pellets in my finger and he grabbed on and took them. Then he was stuck on the floating thermometer...I stuck my finger in, he grabbed on, I moved him to the back wall, he got off and ate his food. I got a kick out of it!! Maybe I'll have a new friend LOL.

Dena

I have a peppermint shrimp in my biocube at work and he hangs out on the upper back part of the tank. He frantically tries to walk on the underside of the water line to get food. So today I pinched a couple of pellets in my finger and he grabbed on and took them. Then he was stuck on the floating thermometer...I stuck my finger in, he grabbed on, I moved him to the back wall, he got off and ate his food. I got a kick out of it!! Maybe I'll have a new friend LOL.

Dena

my wife always lets a pair we have in you daughter's tank clean her hands after feedings...

and ours have hatched eggs at least 5 times...sadly it is a night and just turns into a feeding frenzy with all the fish.