**** Crabs!

Rjohn

Are y'all sure crabs are necessary for a healthy tank? I had a frag of blue zooanthids that were perched on a shell. They were doing nicely as of 8:00 am this morning. NOW they are gone and a red legged crab is walking around in the shell. The little blues are nowhere to be found. I have a strong urge to introduce that crab to Mr Hammer.

Some people have crabs that eat zoas. Mine have always ignored them.

Asking people if they think crabs should be in a reef tank is like arguing over Ford vs. Chevy...there are two camps and people are very loyal to their opinions!

They probably just cleaned them off before using it (the shell) as a new house.

I don't think they ate them - so look around the tank or use a puffer (turkey baster) and puff

away around the rockwork. You probably find them sooner or later and can re-glue.

they "might" be stuck to a pump screen, or already taken the long ride to the sump (look in there too).

the good thing is, they will survive a long time without light - so sooner or later if they didn't get shredded

by pump impellers - they'll probably turn up. You'll probably be staring at a rock one day like I was

and go "what'r those.... BOOGERS!?!?"

and there' they'll be!

(Anything in/on a shell is likely to get a hermit's attention. - sp I never had luck using shells for very long as zoo mounts)

I had some hermits once... they just rip reach other up fighting over a stupid shell that wouldn't fit either of them anyway,

so I thought they weren't exactly the brightest candles in the sandbed.