I'm considering a Kalk Reactor

Daniel

Hey guys,

Is anyone dosing kalkwasser (lime water)? How useful is it for your tank?

I already have a calcium reactor, so I'm mostly considering dosing kalk for its pH benefits. Would a fuge running on a timer opposite the main tank be an equally effective means of stabilizing pH? Let me know.

Daniel

I am dosing Kalk via my ATO and love it. My PH and Alk has stabilized, and the coraline has really started to come in. I have seen no adverse affects so far. I top off with 5G water cooler jugs and add 4 Tsp of Kalk per jug. Just let it settle a bit before you dose.

James

You have a ca reactor on a 20g? That's hard core!

Haha, I have a 90 gallon reef too.

I am dosing Kalk via my ATO and love it. My PH and Alk has stabilized, and the coraline has really started to come in. I have seen no adverse affects so far. I top off with 5G water cooler jugs and add 4 Tsp of Kalk per jug. Just let it settle a bit before you dose.

James

Okay, I'll give it a whirl.

Do you also dose calcium, or is the kalk also your primary source of calcium?

Daniel

I was considering a kalk reactor when I set-up my reef, but never ended up needing one. I have a fully stocked 75g mixed reef (including clams) and I just dose a few capfuls of Seachem Reef Complete twice a week. Calcium and dKH are always at good levels.