Dead Shrimp

iflytoohigh

hey there. i'm pretty new to saltwater invertebrates. i recently purchased a peppermint shrimp from RCA. well, after a day in my tank it started acting very odd. it was lying on his side flapping the legs on his abdomen. i left him alone and figured he was acclimating or some such. he only lasted a day or two more laying on the floor before i found a blue leg hermit feeding on him. any ideas as to what it was doing? was it sick? was it lack of hiding places because it was trying to molt? i had it in a 3gal nano. was that waaay to small?

specific gravity : 1.025?ph: 8.1 ?ammonia: 0?nitrite: 0?nitrate: < 1 ppm?phosphate < 1 ppm?

i dont dose with anything, as i dont have much in the tank at the moment.

hmm..well, i have the tank located in an area that never receives sunlight. i dont regularly check the temperature. (is this something i should be doing? ) i keep my home at about 78 degrees all the time. there might be a few degrees difference when im not home and the ac is not on. do you think that might be it? a fluxuation in temperature? there is no heater or chiller on the tank. dontknow.gif

You turn the a/c off when you leave? If that is the case, we found the cause of your dead shrimp. When you leave and turn the A/C off I'd bet that the temperature of your water would have no problem swinging upwards of 4 degress very quickly!

Coralife makes a cheapy 7 dollar digital thermometer that you should look into getting. I'm sure Carlos has them at RCA or can get one.

John

hmm.. that is disappointing. not that horrible, but i was hoping i could keep a shrimp in there to help keep the aptasia in check. i dont think putting a chiller/heater and a regulator on a 3 gallon nano is viable for me. i guess i will have to start eraticating the aptasia with boiling water injections or some such. thanks for all the replies guys.