Mixing saltwater, 32G Brute trash can

chrisfowler99

I use either my spare Eheim 1262 or my spare Tunze 6060 to mix it for about 4 hours. I like the Tunze because I have it on magnets, that way I can place it near the bottom and aim it so it swirls around in circles. I don't use a heater. In fact I've never ran a heater on any of my tanks.

I use an airpump with 2 airstones to aerate the water and 2 maxijet 1200s. I let it mix overnight. A heater would be nice to be able to add the tank to the water when its been cold outside (since the Brute is in the garage). Normally, I'll fill up a jug the next day and keep it in the house to add to the tank. I wonder if the heater could melt the can if it stayed close to the sides long enough?

I didn't realize you were talking about filling the tank. In that case, dump measured water into tank, add salt, and turn on return and flow pumps and heater, and wait 24 hours.

For my water changes, I use 5 gallon buckets because I change out 8 gallons at a time. Lowe's has 5 gallon buckets in their paint department that are translucent and marked on the outside in gallons. Makes it really easy to figure out how much water you have.

I just use my 5 gallon jugs. I fill them with RO, add salt, and then shake them until the salt is disolved. On a new tank I would just add RO and then add salt with the tank pump(s) running until you are close to the salinity you want and then let it run for a day or two. After a day I would check the salinity again just to make sure it didn't shift any. This is how I did my 150g. I just ran the RO feed straight into the tank and let it run for two days.