Calcium

Brooks

Tonight I discovered that that my calcium level had dropped from around 450, to 340 in a matter of 5 days. I add calcium weekly, though I don't know how to keep it at a very steady level. I'm not up to purchasing a calcium reactor, as it is out of my price range at the moment. I've thought of making a calcium drip, though I don't know how and would need some handy tips on that. Is there any way for me to raise the level safely, but quickly?

Thanks,

Brooks.

I supplement a little each day.

Given where you are now, I'd add in a little more each day till you get them where you want them. I wouldn't try to play catchup suddenly.

How are your Mg levels? That will help balance out your Ca as well.

You can buy from Kent for about $15, or make your own, Kalk drip. It's basically a an IV for your tank. All the parts come from the medical world. It's just a handy plastic jug that hangs inverted, the nice part is that there is a hang hook on the bottom, actually the top, of the jug to hang it from. Then it comes out through some silicone tubing and the drip is adjusted with a little sliding lock thing that they use to adjust an IV drip. Just mix up some Kalk water in a bucket, wait about 5 hours for it to settle and fill the Kalk drip with the clear water from the top of the bucket. Set it to drip about once every other second and it should last for about 2 days. Drip it into your sump near the return pump.

They are also handy for dripping both parts of a two part solution and for adding many other trace minerals such as Mag, Strontium, and even phyto.