QT process

Kkiel02

Ok after losing a onyx clown to Brookylnella, just wondering what or how yall qt. As of now I still have one clown from the pair and purchased another one today. I am currently putting them in my 10g qt tank and it still has a little medicine in there. Do yall medication as a precaution or just if needed? I was thinking maybe a small dosage for incoming fish just to be safe especially after this incident.

Kevin, I'm going to be honest with you. I try to make sure I'm buying healthy fish from LFS. I buy all my fish from River City here in Austin or from folks on Craigslist and to this point haven't had an issue or a need to Quarantine.

I realize most serious hobbiests probably don't do this, but I saw your last email ref quarantine tank and to me if you already have an established tank and you take the time to check out the fish and make sure he's healthy at the pet store prior to purchasing, no need to quarantine.

That's just my two cents. I've had my tanks running for only a year now and previously didn't have much luck with saltwater fish, but that was prior to learning anything about Live Rock--which just wasn't part of the hobby say 10 years ago when I was in the military, traveling all over the world.

Mike McDermott

p.s. I sold you the 36" light....

Kevin, I'm going to be honest with you. I try to make sure I'm buying healthy fish from LFS. I buy all my fish from River City here in Austin or from folks on Craigslist and to this point haven't had an issue or a need to Quarantine.

I realize most serious hobbiests probably don't do this, but I saw your last email ref quarantine tank and to me if you already have an established tank and you take the time to check out the fish and make sure he's healthy at the pet store prior to purchasing, no need to quarantine.

That's just my two cents. I've had my tanks running for only a year now and previously didn't have much luck with saltwater fish, but that was prior to learning anything about Live Rock--which just wasn't part of the hobby say 10 years ago when I was in the military, traveling all over the world.

Mike McDermott

p.s. I sold you the 36" light....

Yeah the clowns are giving me trouble. This last one I got was from aquatek and looked fine in the store. Made sure that they fed them and he/she ate great. My problem was that when I first saw the white spots I thought it was ich. So I when I medicated for ich I probably stressed the fish out more and didnt really affect the parasite at all. The next day I could tell it was not ich as it looked as it had slime on it. So then I started searching for formalyn, which cannot be found in san marcos btw. The next day I was going head up austin to get some but it was too late at this point. I did pick up some formallyn for next time just in case. I learned alot of lessons throughout this process. My fish(tang and damsels) in my display are doing great though, on a good note.

The light is doing great btw thanks again!

Kevin