Controller

jsr

My major problem with this is going to be when the computer geek inside starts planning what it can do and starts arguing with the checkbook and wants the full blown system, when a used RKII or an RK Lite could cover what I need...

I do believe the RK lite has different options though. If I read it correctly there is one without temp, orp, ph slots to be able to plug probes into. If this is correct, be sure to pick the right one.

I was thinking about the same point on the RK with the things that are available, such as turning fans, chiller,and heater on when the tank reaches or drops to a certain temperature. It will also shut lights off if temp continues to rise above a desired temp. The RK2 gives you a wavemaker and a one touch standby mode to shut off all pumps and powerheads. I think this controller gives the computer geek what he desires in a controller, and it gives the simple minded people like me what we desire. The Reefkeeper is well worth the 300.00 i spent.

I do believe the RK lite has different options though. If I read it correctly there is one without temp, orp, ph slots to be able to plug probes into. If this is correct, be sure to pick the right one.

Yeah...I'd have to go with the RK Lite (L3) which has the the temp probe and a "free" pH probe as well as 8 outlets.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and spirited conversation. I see the good and not so good in having a controller. So my thinking is this, I will keep running my lights on a $5 timer for now. I have not had any issues with overheating, yet! Knock on wood. I think I am going to take the money and invest in some upgraded equipment and safety devices. I have not been running a GFCI because I had some electricians tell me they could actually kill you. Hum, need to read some more on that one. Again, thanks for everyone's suggestions. I really appreciate all the opinions. Stay tuned.

Group buy? LOL!! Actually, I just got one a couple of weeks ago, pretty straight forward. I need a Linksys WAP11 to connect to it so I can see it on my wireless network via the ipod touch or blackberry :)