Chiller Question

pbnj

Curious to know how waterflow runs through a chiller. Do all chillers come with internal pumps or do they all require separate, external pumps?

Also, how much flow rate is required for a 75g tank? Are chillers like protein skimmers, i.e., should you use a unit rated for 2X the flow rate that the manufacturer recommends?

Can anyone recommend a good chiller for a 75g tank?

Actually you want your chiller to run on the slower side, it's all about contact time. For a 75g I'd be shopping for a minimum of 1/4hp but would jump on a 1/3rd. The more it runs or the longer it runs to cool the tank, the higher your electric bill will be. Your return pump from your sump will generally suffice for the pump to the chiller. Most folks will run it from the sump to the chiller and then to the tank. The water always runs through the chiller, it comes on when needed.

I've found spring and fall to be the times when I'd need a chiller most. It's that time when you don't run the house AC or heater. In the summer I've never needed a chiller due to the house staying cool.