moving to austin end of october

aggieMEDIC

well i got the offical word yesterday, and i will be moving to austin at the end of october. I was offered a job with Austin/Travis Counry EMS as a medic. the pay is so good i would be crazy to turn it down. Still not sure where we are going to live yet but i will figure that out soon.

they way we are going to work it is this... i am going to go stay with a friend for the first couple of weeks until i find a roommate for a bit. during that time my wife and daughter are going to stay with her parents in huntsville, while i look for a house for us. now since i am not going to be in any place permenant i cant take the tank with me, but it can go with my wife and she will take care of it, then i will have to move it again from huntsville to austin before christmas.

couple questions

1. I know how to move the tank for 30 minutes, done that once. but how in the H##L do i move it from Ft. Worth to Huntsville. because it will be one big move. not multiple trips.

2. once it gets setup in H-town then what damage am i going to do to it when i up and move it again in 2 months? i am going to do my best not to disturb the sandbed. am i going to crash my tank by moving it that much. if i didn't love it so much i would sell off what is in it and just get new stuff in austin, but i love my fish. is there any place that i can house them for 2 months?and how much would it cost to house something like that at an LFS?

3. how does this sound for a plan?

tank and stand are the last things loaded, fish come out into bags, corals come out into bags, rock comes out into bucket with lid, water already made at new location, save as much old water as possible to prevent shock. Add rock and water, add corals and fish. measure measure measure?

is stuff going to be ok in the bags for the trip? and what do i do about the rock with the xenia, kenya tree, and GBTA on it, i can frag the KT and Xenia but what abotu teh GBTA?

sorry this si so long i am just worried for my little wet friends, and dont want anything to happen to them..

any ideas would be appreciated

THanks

Rob

Just some thoughts:

I wouldn't worry about saving the old water other than for shipping. Just take your time acclimating the stuff to the new water just as you would if you were bringing it home from the store.

Ditch the sand. Run it barebottom for the 2 months it's in Huntsville then add new sand once you set it up here. I am sure a few reefers would be happy to donate a cup to help you seed it.

As for the corals attached to rocks, put them in a Brute trash can and fill it with enough water to keep them submerged.

HTH

well i have some sand in some buckets but it need rinsed VERY well. anyone know where i can get some of the starboard to put under the rock so i dont damage the glass? i only need like 20x22 so i can trim it down. i had never thought of barebottom for those 2 months good idea.

Or you can go to any restaurant supply company, I know that there are a couple in College Station area and buy a poly cutting board. They should 18x24 size on the shelf in white and other colors. That will get you going.

I run bare bottom with no starboard and have had no issues. Sounds like you are going back with sand once your finally here for good, so scratches won't be an issue for you. Just make sure your rock piles are secure and won't tumble.

Later

Bill

when I moved to Austin it was a 10 hour drive and I was terrified about moving my tank. Fortunately at the time I only had a 40 gallon tank. What I did was go to the pet stores around town and buy a bunch of the small critter containers. You know the clear plastic containers with the slotted lids on them? I put each fish and coral in one of these and put them all in large rubbermaid containers filled with tank water. They were packed in pretty tight to keep thinks from moving around and injuring everything. I ended up with 2 of the rubbermaid containers in the front of the uhaul with me. I had 1 on the seat and the other on the floorboard. All of my live rock was in the back in a large garbage can filled with water. I also had a power inverter and used it to plug in a couple of small powerheads and heaters to keep water circulating and heated. When I arrived at my new house I let everything out of the containers and in the rubbermaid tubs for about a week with VHOs hanging over them while I cleaned the tank and set everything back up. All worked well. Good luck.