Just wanted to say something about Aquarium Designs.

caferacermike

I've been slow to mention this but the last couple of weekends I've been going to San Antonio to pick up fish tanks. While I was down there I visited most of the shops. As always most were in wretched condition. B&B Aquatics was still a great place to shop, but the real stand out was Aquarium Designs. I was absolutely blown away. If you don't know the shop, they were burglarized last year. They moved a few spaces over and tripled the size of the store after the recovery. I was impressed by the pristine conditions of the tanks used for housing the fish. They have a unique approach to selling the fish. They are sold at eye level. An entire wall is dominated by small isolation tanks housing a few specimens in each. The coral tanks were spread out and the corals being housed were in excellent condition. My only complaint is the same as the last time I shopped there, be careful of the prices. Some are spectacular, like a 4" chunk of Superman Monti for $55, but some are a joke, like a rock with 12 red mushrooms for $150. Also some of the equipment is way overpriced, such as a 4oz can of PVC glue listed for $28. I'll end by saying that the livestock was extremely healthy and very diverse. If you are down that way I'd recommend you drop in.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the posting. I was in San Antonio today and had some extra time. I wasn't sure which stores to check out, and then I remembered this thread. I went by to check out B&B Aquatics and Aquarium Designs. Both places have some cool corals.

Aquarium Designs feels a little more like a high end fish store. Not sure if it was the interior or just the prices :lol:. If you are just going site seeing this is the place to go. Makes me feel better about our lfs and what they charge. If you would like to actually buy anything I would recommend stopping by B&B.

*****A note I spoke to a guy at B&B and he was actively making frags for the maast meeting in San Marcos. They are apparently one of the sponsors and will be selling them at the meeting.