Metal Halide Light help

Erock

So i was just cleaning and lifeted up the power strip that had my light/timer plugged into it and all of a sudden the light shut off and everything else paused momentarily then resumed.... everything except the light. Its not the timer. I get no light now... i do get the smell of burning electricity though... what the heck just happened... did i just burn out the whole light?? Its a Aquamedic Aquastarlight or something like that...

this really sucks...

eric

I have had that happen to me, my ballast was dead afterwards. It smelled like something had burned. I also had smoke come out of mine

sounds about right...

how difficult is it to install a new ballast? I'll probably just buy an external then? is there any good way to tell what i'm looking at when i open the side? oh so many questions...

Most lights attempt to use some sort of fuse to prevent the total loss of the ballast. Check your manufacturer to see if they have one. If your ballast is magnetic you may have only burned out the starting capacitor. Light ballasts are not a total mystery and are quite simple, especially MH. What size is it? I know that Prof had some nice SUnlight Supply and ARO ballasts that he got in a trade awhile back. I think they were 250w.

Most lights attempt to use some sort of fuse to prevent the total loss of the ballast. Check your manufacturer to see if they have one. If your ballast is magnetic you may have only burned out the starting capacitor. Light ballasts are not a total mystery and are quite simple, especially MH. What size is it? I know that Prof had some nice SUnlight Supply and ARO ballasts that he got in a trade awhile back. I think they were 250w.

its a 250w aquamedic aquaspacelight. I've pulled the side off but want to do a bit more research before i start pulling it apart. Thanks for the help.

entropy has some 250w ballasts for sale for pretty cheap

I'm assuming that entropy is one of the other posters on this here board???

I'm about 99.9% sure that its the ballast. next problem is installing the new one when i get it. any help that you guys can give me would be wonderful. Thanks yet again.

eric

If you are in RR I can help look at it and or replace your ballasts.

One thing you should try is the "sniff" method. Sniff around and see if you can smell the burned out part.

I'm on the east side just outside of downtown near 35 and town lake. Thank you for the offer. I've sniffed in it quite a few times and it seems that its the ballast inside is the smell. There is no visual sign of damage though. I thought for sure after the smell i would be able to see where the wires burned up or something like that. I'm probably going to bring it in today to aquatek and have them look at it as i called yesterday.

Yes, look back at my first reply and you'll see that was the part I was pointing to from the beginning. It is a large capacitor designed to hold a charge like a battery, but unlike a battery it can instantly discharge the cap. Sounds like you have the industry standard Magnetek Magnetic ballasts. The parts are super easy to come by and super cheap. Any of the "light bulb shops" can usually help square it all away.

If I'm not mistaken mike, the capacitor is actually a completely different cylindrical piece that is on the other side of the light. This one says ignitor right on it. its a very small box with about 3 wires leading into it. I think i just found it from aquamedic for $28 (as long as i dont screw something up worse).

eric

Glad you found it. Does sound as though they have it a little different but most MH ballasts are generally the same, and even the same brand of stuff inside. Most are just an expensive housing. Consider getting electronic ballasts in the future as they seem to be a little more bullet proof.