solana

blindside

The solana skimmer is killing me! I constantly have to adjust it. It blows out way too many micro bubbles into my tank. And is very loud. Its been running for over 2 weeks? Geeze!

If you are looking for a fix, I have a tunze nano that works great...

Hmmm, I took the stock auto top off of cause it only lasted like an hour. So I filled it up with more hour in that chamber. Evaporation is not the problem its always leveled now. Thanks for the advice starfire. I guess ill keep trying!

so far, no I have not removed the bio-balls from the skimmer and my nitrates have stayed very low, given my tank is only a month old so they shouldn't play a factor yet, but if I start seeing nitrate spike I will definitely remove them. Did you remove the black sponge from the skimmer output? I believe that is there to keep you from having problems with microbubbles. Also, you may have your water level too high in the back. That would cause your skimmer to produce too much waste, and also could cause the micro bubbles. How often are you having to empty the skimmer cup? I keep my water level approx. 1" above the top trickle tray, and I keep the bottom of the skimmer cup approx. an 1/8" below the water level on the skimmer. If you want to stop by my place sometime to see how I have mine set up just let me know. I am available most of the time.

Your wanting to keep SPS right? I think the Tunze Nano is only rated to 26 Gallons when you are keeping SPS, and 52 Gallons with softies and fish. I have heard of a lot of people replacing the stock skimmer with the a Deltec, but I am not sure what model.

That would mean a whole lotta water changes?

Blindside,

On the contrary, skimerless does not evoke more water changes. If anything, depending on husbandry, fewer water changes are required. On this site, read the link on algae turf scrubbers. Or go to Marine Depot and read Erick Boreman's thread on "skimmerless". Obviously there is more than one way to achieve success in a captive reef.

Pat