THOSE WHO GOT CORALS AT MACNA PLEASE READ

thedude

All,

If you got a coral from MACNA, mainly from extreme corals, chances are you've let some parasites lose into your tank. Until I get an answer from Steve Bird about where some of his acros came from, I'll assume the infection was limited to the Extreme Corals tanks.

I came home from MACNA with three frags for myself and 7 that I'm holding for Steve Bird. Working with Extreme Corals before and recognizing that they deal with MANY MANY wild colonies of corals, I decided an incredibly careful dip was in order. When I dipped, I found flatworms, acropora eating flatworms, and the best one... 25 or so montipora eating nudibranchs WITH EGGS chewing on BOTH colonies of superman montipora purchased from them.

This is a warning to all of ya'll but I HOPE you dipped your corals.

John

I am so glad that you talked me into dipping all my corals about 6 months ago! I did a 15 min. Lugols dip on all my corals too. I didn't even look at the water to see if anything came off though. However, I got my corals from other vendors. Thanks for the reminder!

Every time you buy ANY acro, you should assume that there are worms on it. I believe that every single coral should be dipped with Lugol's, TMPCC or betadine. Possibly with Levamisole, but that is likely to cause significant stress to the coral more than an iodine based bath.

To make matters worse, there very well may be a pelagic form of AEFW's.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=858834

You should also assume every monti has nudi's and every acro has red bugs IMO.

Proper QT practices will prevent a TOTAL disaster and headache.

Congrats to John for taking the proper precautions and warning us.

Servo,

Agree completely in that the vendor should not be held responsible for these problems. The bottom line, is that we are dealing with a live, wild product and that certain precautions need to be taken. This just further shows reefers to dip.

John