Persistent Green Algae Problem - Help!

reefman

Any help/ideas will be greatly appreciated. On my 90G Wave Front tank, I have a green algae problem that just doesn't ever seem to go away. The tank is about 6 months old. I have about 100 or so lbs of live rock, and about 40 lbs of live sand. Skimmer is a Prizm hang on the back, and I have an Ehiem Canister filter hooked up to it (this was my first tank).

The algae seems to come on stronger, and fade off at times, but never seems to go away. The water doesn't seem like its clear most of the time either, except right after I've done a good size water change. I have 9 fish and about 16 corals, some zoo's, 2 clams, snails, etc.

I supplement the tank with a variety of supplemts, mainly Kent and Red Sea, but never more than the directions say, and most times less. I try to feed the fish a few flakes in the moring b/4 work, then a main meal (John's Fishy Mix, Brine, Mysis, or another commercial food) in the evening. I feed the corals 2 - 3 times a week with phyto, zoo, and oyster eggs (added that just recently).

Lights are the Current Outer Orbit Hilides/Actinics/Lunar set up.

Like I said, I have the green algae on the glass, and unless the rocks have coraline, they have a definite green tint. I may have gotten some coraline growth on some of the rocks (I added additional live rocks that already had good coraline growth on them, but no growth on any of the glass or fixtures.

Sorry if this was too long, but trying to provide all the info necessary. Let me know if I missed anything.

Any ideas would be great appreciated.

Stepehn

OK, already realized I probably left some things out. All the water I have used for the past 2 - 3 months I get from Austin Aquariums. Last Phospahte check I did over a month ago, I had some but it was low. I had taken another sample to AA to get an updated test, but don't have it yet. I have a Poly Resin filter in the Ehiem.

Stephen

What would be my options, since I don't presently have a sump (the stand this tank sits on makes a normal size sump impossible, w/o seriously modifying the stand). Are there any hang on the back skimmers that are any good?

Any ideas on how ofte to clean the Ehiem, and any suggestions on maybe different media?

Or does this all boil down to that I will eventually figure out a way to add a sump and larger skimmer to resolve all this?

Stephen

My opinion is that if you are going to do corals then you will end up adding a sump. They are great! Not only does it add water volume which is nice, but it also allows you to hide all your equipment. If you can't add one look at the Coralife super skimmer. It is possible to hang on the back and works much better. Just be very careful especially the first week or two as they have a tendency to overflow every once and awhile. As for the Filter, I am not sure but I would say at least weekly. There is a reason that most reefers don't use them.

Maybe you could just have an algae trough. PaulB on ReefCentral uses one (you can try to search there, if you'd like). It's basically just like 1/2 a plastic gutter across most of the top of his tank, inside the tank and lower at one end to keep the water flowing. You can't really see it looking in the front of the tank and it gets light from the lights for his tank.

I can never search on ReefCentral successfully, and I probably am not explaining it well, but maybe someone else who has seen the pics can explain it better/more accurately.

ej

No luck on trying to search Reef Central. All I get is a page trying to get me to subscribe to their "Premium Service" so that I get higher priority on the search requests. That kind of ticks me off. Also did a search on Google for the Algae Gutter. No luck there either. Maybe one fo the other members has some info.

I do plan on having a sump eventually, in fact I'm strongly leaning to the Eco-System style refugium/sump with some tyoe of Miracle Mud (or Fiji Mud) and either Chaeto or Culpera algae.

However, before I can even consider that, I will need to modify the stand. It has two thick metal poles on each end, and a cabinet/pedestal in the center. That is where the problems start. Because of the center pedestal, there is only about 18 - 20 inches free space on each side of the pedestal. Looks great, but its functionality isn't worth a hoot. Like I said, it was my first, the wife loved it, and I didn't know any better.

Long term plan is to buy two heavy capacity legs that I can adjust the height on (I actually found some that would work online, they are about $66 each). Plan would be to install the legs in the center, THEN remove the predestal/cabinet, thus opening up the bottom below the tank so that I could then put in a real sump/refugium. I played a little with the pedestal, and it appears that it IS helping to support the weight of the tank, so considering I'm playing with at least 800 lbs above this, although expensive this seems the best way to go. Each leg is rated to support up to 600 lbs, so I'm sure its overkill, but they look like they closely match the outer legs and would seem to be the safe way to go.

Stephen

Another thing I forgot to add...sorry.

I have a constant scum on the water surface as well. Not sure if this is related to the algae problem, the Prizm, or what. The Wave 2K keeps the surface pretty clear on the right side of the tank where it is, but not on the left, even though the Prizm (with surface skimmer attachment) is on the left.

Is this related to the algae problem and previous suggestions/opinions, or something different?

Stephen

Great idea, and had at one time considered it. Couple of questions related to that one...

Would an 18 - 20 inch length (about the same front to back distance, maybe a little more) be enough flow area for the refugium part?

Would I have to get these custom made (or make them my self - not likely considering the time involved), or is there anything pretty close to that size ready made I could use?

Stephen

I am assuming that the tank is not reef ready (overflows). If so a hang on the back overflow would be needed to feed the sump. This would be another benefit of the sump set up as the overflow takes water from the surface thus keeping it clean. In the meantime a power head aimed up toward the surface on that end would help.

Gabiel,

You are correct, no overflows. Thanks for the suggestion, even though my other tank has o/f, I hadn't considered I would need you for this one when I went to the sump system. Maybe I'll see Hobogato or Hammondegg at the meeting. Also, if either of you see this, please let me know so we might discuss.

Thanks for the help. Gabriel.

Stephen

I have 2 guesses for you Stephen. The Prism isn't doing the job you need it to, and the water has serious phosphate in it. Unfortunately, I know the latter for a fact. Give me a call if you'd like to discuss it with me as I'd be happy to give you some suggestions.

John

Reefman,  As far as a new skimmer goes, a coralife would be an improvement over the prizm.  At macna, Deltec released their new hang on the back skimmer that retails for $239.  You might consider it if you don't want to install a sump system.

I forgot about that! Good call.