Snowflake Eel

medi

All right, well I went to the LFS store a few days back, and made a bit of a compulsive buy. :D I purchased an approx. 12" snowflake eel that I decided would really limit what I could keep in my tank. The eel is eating well, and right now I have him on a diet of frozen silversides, shrimp, and squid. It also seems to interact with me through the glass. I really like him, but I just don't think he is what I am looking for right now. I spent $30 five days ago, but I will take $15 now or a cool frag. Also, if anyone has any suggestions how to catch it I would greatly appreciate it because he has made home in the a base rock and I am not going to tear my setup down just to catch him.

Tiny fish hook on thread or ultralight fish line. Seriously. File the barb down so that you can easily remove the hook. Carefully bait a silverside and don't let the eel swallow the hook.

Another method with eels is to catch them like alligator gar. Thread a length of yarn through the mouth of the silverside and out one of the gills. Leave the yarn long enough to use it like you are fishing. When the eel begins eating the fish it's teeth will temporarily tangle within the fibers. Quickly and gently pull the eel up and out, then remove the yarn from it's teeth.