Ketchikan Alaska Dock

Grog

I was not sure where this belongs, but I figured this is the right place.  Please move the post if it doesn't fit in this location.

I just got back from Ketchikan Alaska.   The wildlife was absolutely abundant.   These pictures were taken for the dock before I went on a halibut fishing trip.  (Caught one halibut, one rock fish, and one king salmon.)

So much diversity in the water.   I'll give some perspectives.   That crab in the first picture is about 7" across.    The cukes are really bright orange and brown and vary from 1' to 3' in length.  Yes, foot.   There were 20 nems and starfish visible.      Lots of nutrients in the water down there.    Second picture shows reflection of a piling for reference.  So, you can see how large the cukes are.    I was blown away.   Things were about the size of my arm.  

Tide changes are about 20'.  All the docks are floating.   You can see closed nems up 4' on the pilings.  Pretty crazy.

All this just at the dock.

Sorry for the low quality.  I was 4' above the water, and the water was about 8' deep here.    Shows how clear the water is up there.

Can't wait to go back.    It was between 55-75F daily there.   Water was 52F.    Maybe I need a cold water tank?  :P

IMG_20230615_060852933.jpgIMG_20230615_060856009.jpg

• Like 1