Crab

Grog

Found a crab in the tank the other day.   Never seen one like it before.   

Tried to get pics but it is shy, so I went full redneck and went fishing in my tank.   Borrowed one of the wife's cake decorating tools as a sinker.  (Don't want to use a lead sinker in the reef tank.)    Tied a shrimp to it and lured him out for some pictures.  

I'm unclear about the species.  I suspect it is some sort of stone crab, and a juvenile at that.   It definitely eats meat.   Hitchhiker on live rock from Tampa.

Key points on this guy:

• He's chonky!
  • Purple shell with black claw tips
  • Black/dark purple and white horizontal stripes on the legs.
  • Shy
  • about 2.25" across

FWIW I love this kind of stuff.  Not upset that it is in my tank.  Just want to know what it is.     I love crabs.

IMG_20230609_165717438.jpg

crab1.jpg

crab2.jpg

crab3.jpg

crab4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Crab is growing.  I hadn't seen him in about a week or two, so I guess he molted.   Fresh colors so I think that is the case.

Got good pics today.  Leg stripes are changed.

I have this odd suspicion that this is a juvenile rock crab and will be a big boy.

Thinking this is what it is....   https://txmarspecies.tamug.edu/invertdetails.cfm?scinameID=Menippe adina

crab5.jpg 

crab6.jpg

That's a really cool looking crab.  It's left claw is definitely used for grabbing and crushing though and it's right claw doesn't have any "spoon" shape to it.  Looks like your ID is right. 

He's gone now.   

Broke the green galxea off of its rock.   Tried to eat a fish and another snail.    

Done!

That thing was as aggressive as a pit bull on steriods.  OMG