Two Things from Gulf Rock

Grog

OK what are these things?

First thing, is it a majano?  If so, remove it?     I'm thinking this may be a tiny condy.   I'm not the best at nem ID tho.

IMG_20230425_152142528_HDR.jpg

Second, what is the white stuff?  No clue from my side.

IMG_20230425_152147049_HDR.jpg

Edited by Grog
clarification

First is an aiptasia, not a majano.  My suspion is it's a different species than the brown one that causes issues in aquaria but best to get rid of it.  (For just one I'd put use a bucket of aquarium water to hold it in and dig it out with a flat blade screwdriver.  The second is sponge and beneficial, looks like two different species, actually.

Took the rock out and busted that section off with a hammer and chisel.   No more bad guy.    Didn't care about losing a little rock on this 'base' rock.   Easy Orc method.  Cool thing with that rock is it is colored through.    Not just a surface coating.

As always, I appreciate the feedback Tim.    I'm over here in a vacuum.   I have ideas and they aint always the best.  :P

There's a couple species that are found threw out ttemperte and tropical Atlantic, mediteranian and caribbean.  It's rare I get it on live rock, far more likely to get it from other aquarists.

Ok,

This thing is super annoying.  Chipped off some rock the other day.    Look this morning the thing is still there.   Maybe I missed it.

Took another 4" chunk of rock off this morning.   Go to dog training.  Come back and it's there again.    I wonder if it has a really deep root/foot in the rock and is retreating when I take the rock out of the tank....

Time to get medieval on it.

They can be anchored pretty deep into holes or crevisas.  I try to identify it'd hiding hole and bore inyo iy with a screwdriver and rinse it well ina bucket of saltwater to flush off any remians.

• Like 1

I busted the rock with a chisel and hammer.   Broke into three pieces.   I could see the darned thing in the smallest piece so it went into the trash can.   Other rocks are back in the tank and no sight of the thing for two days.  :D

Lots of crabs and starfish came in on this rock and sand.   Like lots.