Need fan suggestions

mcallahan

I've got a small PC fixture for the lights on my refugium, but i'd really like to replace the fan that moves air through the fixture. It is really, really loud and since these lights will be running at night, I don't want to keep everyone in the house up.

I dropped by Fry's yesterday to try to find some, but the fans they had were all attached to heat-sinks for CPU's, video cards, etc.

Most people seem to be using Silex fans, but I've read several reviews online that these fans are by no means silent.

Does anyone have any suggestions on super-silent cooling fans for fixtures?

• 1 month later...

You were just in the wrong section at Fry's. They sell all sizes of replacement fans. Most are around $8. Some will come with a third wire. Don't worry about it. That's the speed control for a PC. The plugs will still work, just the third wire won't line up. If I remember they sell them directly across from all the motherboards that are right next to the power supplies.

• 2 weeks later...
Got it. I think I hosed myself as well b/c I said I need a heat sink vs. just a fan. Ooops. I know better.

I've also got a client who is a PC repair guy and he can get me fans cheap...i.e...free. I just need to go get a converter.

I have a few blower style PC fans if you want them...just let me know (look like miniature carpet dryers)

Edited by Capt. Obvious