Burnt corals due to light

Atilano Mendoza

Ok so I need some help. I burnt a lot of my corals not realizing how important it is to have your lights set perfectly... I have a 16 gal Biocube hood with LEDs and built in timer. Does anyone know what would be good settings to grown my sps. I just changed my lighting settings to the below:

Hood specs

PAR* 38

Peak PAR* 61

LUX* 2700

Peak LUX* 3510

11am-1500 (4 hrs) daylights ......before I ran this for 10hrs, I think this is what the issue was.

8am-2100 (13hrs) dawn- dusk

2000-2200 (2hrs) moon lights

Darkness from 2200- 8am

From what I read the blue dawn and dusk/moon lights don’t hurt or help the coral or fish it’s the day lights that can burn and hurt them.

Any help would be appreciated...I’m lost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I need some help. I burnt a lot of my corals not realizing how important it is to have your lights set perfectly... I have a 16 gal Biocube hood with LEDs and built in timer. Does anyone know what would be good settings to grown my sps. I just changed my lighting settings to the below:

Hood specs
PAR* 38
Peak PAR* 61
LUX* 2700
Peak LUX* 3510

11am-1500 (4 hrs) daylights ......before I ran this for 10hrs, I think this is what the issue was.
8am-2100 (13hrs) dawn- dusk
2000-2200 (2hrs) moon lights
Darkness from 2200- 8am

From what I read the blue dawn and dusk/moon lights don’t hurt or help the coral or fish it’s the day lights that can burn and hurt them.

Any help would be appreciated...I’m lost

While I'm not familiar with your lighting directly, starting off everything slow and acclimating never hurt anything.

My average lights on for my full lights is 8 hrs, with a 1-2 he dawn/dusk before and after that.

So for now, maybe decrease everything down to 4-6 hrs of full lights and 1 hr of dawn/dusk and go from there. The corals will tell you if they like it or not. Then work your way up to an 8 hr full daytime light cycle, increasing an hour every couple of weeks from there. Be a good start at least.

Actinic (blue) actually does help corals so there is benefit to it than just for your own viewing pleasure.

While I'm not familiar with your lighting directly, starting off everything slow and acclimating never hurt anything.

My average lights on for my full lights is 8 hrs, with a 1-2 he dawn/dusk before and after that.

So for now, maybe decrease everything down to 4-6 hrs of full lights and 1 hr of dawn/dusk and go from there. The corals will tell you if they like it or not. Then work your way up to an 8 hr full daytime light cycle, increasing an hour every couple of weeks from there. Be a good start at least.

Actinic (blue) actually does help corals so there is benefit to it than just for your own viewing pleasure.

Thanks so much for
Your help I didn’t start it off slow ... and I think that’s what did it. I appreciate your help.

Archived