Acropora experts

Looking for acropora experts !! I have a colony of acro that I fragged up and someone told me it's either a desalwi or plana acropora which is pretty much pearlberry/mint plana from what I'm gathering ! Just looking for opinions on what it could be , it lost color due to it being wild and I had some phosphate problems!

Thanks in advance 68763f4d776e4da1218ac7cd2621e8a2.jpg296bb0b68431ff4cb85ba438d055d9dd.jpg305a57128db2efe79979fa7182974824.jpgc398cee3bd9f8b77d5745905103eab4c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hey Ricky, are you the same one up in Dallas?

Not sure you're looking to name it or identify a likeness to it from an already named coral.

My guess would be acropora desalwi but that's just from a quick look.

FWIW, a Pearlberry is a Pearlberry, if not from the original colony collected or a frag of the original, I don't consider it one, even if it looks exactly alike. I see a lot of vendors using "Pearlberry like" or "Oregon tort like" these days when they realize it probably is of the same type but not the same exact mother colony.

Not sure you're looking to name it or identify a likeness to it from an already named coral.

FWIW, a Pearlberry is a Pearlberry, if not from the original colony collected or a frag of the original, I don't consider it one, even if it looks exactly alike. I see a lot of vendors using "Pearlberry like" or "Oregon tort like" these days when they realize it probably is of the same type but not the same exact mother colony.

No I'm from Louisiana, but yea I was just wondering if it was pearlberry or a mint plana acro which look similar!! But just because ORA doesn't have anymore doesn't necessarily mean there are no more wild colonies right ?

I hope it colors up better than what it is either way [emoji12]

No I'm from Louisiana, but yea I was just wondering if it was pearlberry or a mint plana acro which look similar!! But just because ORA doesn't have anymore doesn't necessarily mean there are no more wild colonies right ?

You're absolutely correct. But if someone sold me a Pearlberry because he thought it looked the same but not from the original piece, I would be livid if you can understand. And to track your piece to the original colony harvested would be impossible so its kind of a moot point in that regards. I'm not trying to be the acro police here, I just want to make sure that any "named" piece I buy is from the same mother colony as the original named piece. To do it otherwise I find misleading, whether intentional or not.

If I order a Dr Pepper, don't bring me a Mr. Pibb and say its the same thing. [emoji23]

You're absolutely correct. But if someone sold me a Pearlberry because he thought it looked the same but not from the original piece, I would be livid if you can understand. And to track your piece to the original colony harvested would be impossible so its kind of a moot point in that regards. I'm not trying to be the acro police here, I just want to make sure that any "named" piece I buy is from the same mother colony as the original named piece. To do it otherwise I find misleading, whether intentional or not.

If I order a Dr Pepper, don't bring me a Mr. Pibb and say its the same thing. [emoji23]

Lmao I get what you are saying , and that's why I don't like the naming game but instead just go for nice colors

Lmao I get what you are saying , and that's why I don't like the naming game but instead just go for nice colors

Absolutely. Half of mine are named, half are the pretty maricultures I found myself like your nice piece.

I can't tell from your pictures in the OP.  Here's a picture of my A. Desalwii that you can compare. 
December picture
Acropora%2B1-21-14.JPG

March picture
Acropora%2B3-9-14.JPG

May picture
Acropora%2B4-17-14.JPG

Looks similar to that but it lost a lot of its color

Archived