Free aquarium conundrum

Waderaid

Hey all, last week I got a used 60 gallon tank from my wife's grandfather's cousin's stepchild.

I want to set it up to upgrade from my 20 gallon. The thing is it's 48 long, 24 high and 12 wide. Half of me wants to disassemble the tank, cut the back panel in half and build a new bottom and back from epoxied plywood. My better half on the other hand is very against this because it would cost more to set up a 120 and she is worried I would damage it.

Can a good looking tank be pulled off in a narrow tank? I tried looking online, but couldn't find many people running a tank of this size.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Sure!  But if you really want a wider tank buying one or looking around for a used one will be a lot easier than modifing your 60 gallon.  Look up KimP's aquascaping videos in her build thread or in the video section.  You can build some pretty stable aquascaping that will give your fish plenty of swimming space and if you make "channels" that go all the way to the back of the tank it helps give the impresion of depth.

• 1 month later...

My first tank was a 55 similar to yours, but I think it was like 36" x 24 x 12. It was also a freebie from a friend and our first salt water. The aqua-scaping was challenging but do-able. I liked it when I had it, but when I went to a standard 75g it was sooooo much easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived