Lightning Maroon at Petco

pabloescolar

My apologies if this is in the wrong place, but it is just too strange not to tell y'all. I was in the Petco on Brodie Lane late Tuesday night and they had two Lightning Maroon clowns in the (very sad) frag tank for $39.99 each. The employee said they didn't even order them - the distributor just dumped them on them.

I haven't seen a Lightning for less than $250 so I thought I'd let y'all know. I don't want Maroons or I'd have snagged them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ran down there to check them out and definitely lightnings. I'd put them at a low B or C grade and the small one looks like he's in rough condition, no visible signs of ich but he's lethargic and desperately trying to find a low flow area of the tank. They have 2 gorgeous gold flakes in another tank.

I'll just say stores like that make me wish fish stores were licensed and inspected, or big box ones were prohibited from selling fish entirely, because it's embarrassing to the hobby. Angles, discus, oscars in one tank together. Mixing clown species. Tons of fish completely unsuitable for home aquariums including several groupers, eels, and large triggers and puffers. Most of the tanks have major algae problems, bryopsis everywhere, most of the frags in the lightning tank have bryopsis on them. When you have 2 or 3 employees just standing around and your tanks all need significant maintenance, there's a problem. The real travesty is their prices are higher than any other LFS in Austin that I can think of, probably even fish gallery. That store and whoever runs the fish department just has no business doing it.

...at a Petco??? That's weird. They're getting surprisingly (disturbingly) into saltwater sales...

I've been there looking for a specific product because it was nearby and the "fish expert" had no idea what I was talking about. I think it was a chemical to dose or treat. Basic stuff. I still have to go to buy bugs so while I'm there I make time to mourn the fish. He can't Id any coral either. I definitely agree that they need to invest some knowledge if they are going to carry SW. Petsmart has slowly been expanding their SW line but don't carry fish. Yet.

from me

Jestep - I totally agree. I only ever wind up in a big chain store when nothing else is open, but they are universally miserably run. I definitely am not endorsing Petco - just raising the flag on this unusual find.

Jestep - I totally agree. I only ever wind up in a big chain store when nothing else is open, but they are universally miserably run. I definitely am not endorsing Petco - just raising the flag on this unusual find.

Yeah, they're not all bad either, I think it was the pflugerville petco or another one up north was very well maintained. I've seen a few of the petsmarts with very knowledgable staff for their FW stuff as well, probably the exception, but they exist.

Sorry though, didn't mean to hijack your thread with a rant, I pretty much had to walk out when I saw the oscar / angel tank with 2 nice discus huddled in a corner...

Archived