Coralline algea/ maturity

Sissy36

Since my lights took a swim and died I have coralline algea growing in a few spots on my rock. I can't dig much up on this subject so I'm asking.

How harmful is it?

Is it a nuance and needs to be rid of?

Will it interfere with coral growth?

If it needs to go what's the best way to do so?

Also, I know I'm a long way from tank maturity since she's only been up 3 months, but how do I know when it's mature? It did fully cycle in a week and a half though. I used the rocks, sand, and some water from my other tank that had been up for over a year. I cheated [emoji14]

Thanks y'all!

Sent from Sissy's phone

Coraline algae is very beneficial. Most species I've encountered don't like bright light so you may just see it in partially shaded areas.

As far as determining when a reef system is mature typically I would say 8 - 12 months for the various cycles that can be encountered to settle down. But using rock and sand and water from another system cuts that time down quite a bit. After what I've read about the role of cryptic sponges in recycling the DOC in a system once I see noticable growth (which can be a bit of a challenge as they are usually not easily seen) I would think it's mature.

Here is an example from one of my tanks. On the back with lower light coraline grows fine but on the rocks around the acros with higher light it won't grow

(Apparently I need practice posting from my cell phone)

Some say that if you're trying to grow SPS the purple algae will consume the chemicals in the water that your SPS need to grow. This either raises the amount of supplements you need to use on the system as a whole or it causes your SPS to not get what they need, whichever way you want to look at it. It's also a pita to scrape off if you decide you don't like it.

Some say that if you're trying to grow SPS the purple algae will consume the chemicals in the water that your SPS need to grow. This either raises the amount of supplements you need to use on the system as a whole or it causes your SPS to not get what they need, whichever way you want to look at it. It's also a pita to scrape off if you decide you don't like it.

Thanks Flux. I'll be sure to keep an extra close eye on the levels.

I think it's pretty [emoji5] Pretty in pink. It adds character too, don't you think?

Sent from Sissy's phone

It does add the "weathered old reef" look to the tank that's for sure. I think it's really a personal preference kind of a thing. It can lead to more maintenance if it decides to do things like hang out all over your pump equipment I'm sure.

Archived