Sump for self-contained nano tank.

FluxCapacitor

I have a 14g tank that is running but due to lack of space for extra filtration equipment and a want to add more water capacity to it I've decided I would like to put a sump next to it. It does not have a cabinet so the traditional sump below the DT won't work here. My main question is how will I get water to drain from the DT and go into the sump? I have already tried interneting google to find the answer but came up rather empty handed. Most people are talking about how to use an overflow box to do this. Another concern is that I would like to do this add on without emptying the tank out to drill things. I understand this may be a bit of a challenge if not impossible but my idea is to have the sump full of fresh salt water and simply plumb it in and let it do it's thing.

I do not know if this is going to work this way but I'd like to hear some of your ideas as to how this could be accomplished. The 14g cube that I want to do this with currently sits on our night stand in the master bedroom and I'd like to have the sump sit on top of the mini fridge that is next to the night stand. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, one more question, I've noticed from buying filtration equipment that you sometimes get this cloudy translucent "silicon" hoses. This seems to be much better quality than the plastic-y stuff you can buy from the hydroponics shops around town or at the petsmart. Does anyone know what this type of silicone hose is called and/or where to buy it locally? Thanks again and I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

If the sump is going to be at the same level a siphon connecting them should work. If they are on different levels an automatic siphon could be set up. Either option does run the risk of a flood from algae building up on the inside or if air gets in and slows or stops the siphon.

Archived