emerald crab

Heather

I had 2 emerald crabs, they were very active (and a little jerky) and ate every bit of hair algae in my tank for the first few months. Went on vacation and the tank did really well except for a spike in salinity (ATO clogged & tank sitter didn't realize it). Only loss was 1 emerald crab. Since we've been back (almost 2 months now) the other emerald crab has been sluggish, just doesn't get around the tank like he used to and definitely never harasses anyone anymore. Could the salinity spike have done some kind of permanent damage to him? How long is a normal emerald crab's lifespan (assuming MUCH longer than 6 months)? Everyone else is healthy & happy, just seems weird the emerald crab is so sluggish now. Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

It's a possibility. This is just guessing but I'm inclined to think something else might have been wrong. Judging from the size and age I've seen some get I'm inclined to think they have lifespans that should approach 8 - 10 years, certainly more than 5. But most don't seem to live more than a year or two so I'm inclined to think they are missing something from their diet or they don't adjust as well or maybe many are just older when they are collected.

It's a possibility. This is just guessing but I'm inclined to think something else might have been wrong. Judging from the size and age I've seen some get I'm inclined to think they have lifespans that should approach 8 - 10 years, certainly more than 5. But most don't seem to live more than a year or two so I'm inclined to think they are missing something from their diet or they don't adjust as well or maybe many are just older when they are collected.

Thanks Timfish! Maybe he's just nearing the end of his "tank lifespan" I bet they get a much more varied diet in the wild, not easy to do that in a tank (not a 55 gal anyway).