Frozen shaft on pool motor

The impeller shaft on my pool pump is frozen. This is a pump that has been stored for a number of years. Looks like some rust and calcium buildup on the end where you can insert a flat head screwdriver to turn it. The end where I pulled the impeller off of looks almost new. I have doused it with PB's penetrating oil (almost half a can throughout the day) and I cannot break it loose. I have heard that heating up metal with a torch (to a minor degree) works. Has anyone got any ideas...or is a welder if that actually works? Really do not want to buy a new pump as they cost several hundred dollars. I would rather buy more corals with that money.

Thanks...Chad

I'm assuming you have used the penetrating oil on all the bearings. If it was mine I would see if I could pull it apart. If there is gunk built up between the rotor and motor windings heating up the bearings won't help much.

I'm assuming you have used the penetrating oil on all the bearings. If it was mine I would see if I could pull it apart. If there is gunk built up between the rotor and motor windings heating up the bearings won't help much.

Judging from what I can see it appears that area is good. However, I can't see all of it. I have sprayed so much of that oil I would be suprise if there is anything reachable that is still dry.

I'm a mechanic (on "race" cars) as one of my other hobbies. I've used a MAPP gas torch several times to heat and remove stuck bolts and nuts that were either rusted or just seized from heat cycling. I wouldn't recommend a standard propane torch because it will take a long time to heat up the metal. Also, you must take into account what you're trying to free. For instance, if you have a large nut stuck on a stud.... you would heat the nut up because it is going to expand under the heat and free itself from the threads on the stud. So when you're heating, be sure to stay away from anything that is plastic that will melt because the part next to it got hot and make sure you heat the part that needs to come loose. A hammer also is good because it will help rattle loose any burnt up or broken up rust from the procedure.

I've you're still stuck on it this weekend I can maybe come help spit ball some ideas of how to get it off. I don't get defeated by mechanical stuff like this and I can usually get it fixed without breaking anything.

Another tip I can recommend if you're going to service your own pump in the future in this manner, you will want to use some copper based anti-size. This will keep the threads from junking up under the water or rusting on a spot that fuses the metal.

Archived