Baby clown fish

ludakris

My blacker ice clownfish finally laid eggs after almost 2.5 years of being together. Now my question is...does anyone have like a 10g tank laying around, maybe a airpump amd air stones. A small light. Anyone sell live rotifers. I wanna try and keep them alive if not maybe next time they lay eggs. Any advice?

I just got clownfish eggs for the first time too! We were on vacation until last night, so I have no idea when they were laid. I've been planning to start culturing rotifers & copepods, but not quite ready yet, so this batch of eggs may just become fish food.

Sorry I don't have any advice for you..will definitely be following in case anyone has some good advice :)

Congrats you two and I hope you do try to raise them. Mine started laying eggs at the beginning of this year and in March I decided to raise them for my kids enjoyment. My black pair are in a small tank so my batches are really small. I was able to keep 9 of them alive and they are about 4 months old now. I'm about to find new homes for them and will start raising them again.

I get my rotifiers from Reed Mariculture online but unfortunately I crashed my last batch the last time I went on vacation. I'm going to probably get more once I can find homes for all my babies. I'm willing to share with anyone who wants to try.

This is what I did in short:

1) Set up a 10 gal with thermometer (put tape over light indicator) and air stone with slow bubbles over the thermometer.

2) Put black construnction paper on all sides of tank to create black out.

3) Make sure to match SG and Temperature with breeding tank.

4) On hatch night, once light goes out, I turn off all pumps and wait 1 hr

5) Come back and scoop my babies into the fry tank. Do not try to syphon, you may injure the fragile fry.

6) I leave them with light off until morning.

Next morning, I tint the water green with RotiGreen Omega from Reed and put in the rotifiers.

Daily routine:

Scoop out any dead fry, siphon out about 1 gal of water, replace water by dripping in 1 gal from parent tank.

There are different ways to do this but this is what worked for me after several attempts. :-)

It is a lot of work but it is very rewarding especially if you have kids. It makes you appreciated how these little guys even survive in the wild. :-)

I did a lot of reading online here and other forums like reefcentral and nano-reef.

It's good to read up at the beginning since the first few batches are not very good. Even the parents are learning too.

Good luck and I hope you create a new thread for your venture. I will definitely follow along.

I got 7 left that are about 4 months old and got a post on the For Sale forum to try to find loving homes for them. After I find good homes for these, I'm going to start again. The kids have been pressuring me to start raising new babies again. :-) It's a lot of work but very rewarding I must admit.

Congrats you two and I hope you do try to raise them. Mine started laying eggs at the beginning of this year and in March I decided to raise them for my kids enjoyment. My black pair are in a small tank so my batches are really small. I was able to keep 9 of them alive and they are about 4 months old now. I'm about to find new homes for them and will start raising them again.

I get my rotifiers from Reed Mariculture online but unfortunately I crashed my last batch the last time I went on vacation. I'm going to probably get more once I can find homes for all my babies. I'm willing to share with anyone who wants to try.

This is what I did in short:

1) Set up a 10 gal with thermometer (put tape over light indicator) and air stone with slow bubbles over the thermometer.

2) Put black construnction paper on all sides of tank to create black out.

3) Make sure to match SG and Temperature with breeding tank.

4) On hatch night, once light goes out, I turn off all pumps and wait 1 hr

5) Come back and scoop my babies into the fry tank. Do not try to syphon, you may injure the fragile fry.

6) I leave them with light off until morning.

Next morning, I tint the water green with RotiGreen Omega from Reed and put in the rotifiers.

Daily routine:

Scoop out any dead fry, siphon out about 1 gal of water, replace water by dripping in 1 gal from parent tank.

There are different ways to do this but this is what worked for me after several attempts. :-)

It is a lot of work but it is very rewarding especially if you have kids. It makes you appreciated how these little guys even survive in the wild. :-)

I did a lot of reading online here and other forums like reefcentral and nano-reef.

It's good to read up at the beginning since the first few batches are not very good. Even the parents are learning too.

Good luck and I hope you create a new thread for your venture. I will definitely follow along.

Great info! Thanks! Mine just laid a second batch of eggs yesterday. I probably don't have time to get the rotifers going now before they hatch, but maybe third time will be the charm :)

You'll have plenty of time to try. My pair are like clockwork. About 3 days after the last clutch hatches, they have another clutch ready.

BTW, I got plenty of RotiGreen Omega from Reed so anyone planning on using that to tint the water, I can give you some. I use very little so I got a ton left. It is stored in the freezer to last longer. Just PM me.

Good luck!

Archived