Powerhead recommendation

Chris_ATX

So I picked up a 90 gallon reef ready tank and need a recommendation on powerheads/wavemakers. Can anyone give me some input on what size and possible models to look into. Want to try and keep the price in the $100 or less price range also.

Having had a number of power heads in that range, I'd recommend spending a bit more. Equipment is often something we try and cut costs on, but can make a huge difference. That being said I'd encourage you to look at the ecotech vortech quiet drive pumps. PM me if you want me info. I think I have an extra mp10 laying around

An mp10 will do nothing for a 90g. You would need at least a mp40 if you go vortech.

I have had many powerheads going cheap and spending lots and have settled on Jebao. I really liked vortech mp40s but they were too noisy as the motor is outside the tank and the wind up and down to speed the impellor was too much for me. I have found that Jeboas can break, but for the price and same controllability I get great water movement. I keep 2 on hand and swap them out every 2 months or so for cleaning and this has helped with their longevity. One in the tank and one to swap while I clean the other. If you have an Apex you can buy a cable that allows you to control them. If one dies, it is still cheaper to replace than buying vortech.

I think 2 MP40's would be complete overkill. I've got two in my 140T and could probably get by with just 1. Hardly ever run them at more than 50% or they blow everything away

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Archived