Overskimming?

Djkingmatt

I have actually had good success as of late in not skimming everyday. I have only been running the skimmer 3-4 days a week. I have been doing any dosing etc.. on the days I am not skimming. Some think the big skimmers take everything, even the beneficial stuff out of the water. I only have a 20g with 2 fish not much to skim anyway :) and no skimmers on either of my picos.

Well, I'm keeping it on while I'm curing, because last time I just let the rock sit without a skimmer, just water changes, and the extra nutrients and stuff from die-off made one thing grow, which fed another, etc. and I ended up with a unrecoverable "bad" worm infestation, forgot what the LFS said, and became determined to start from scratch with a bigger tank, sump, skimmer, all RO water, Metal halides, etc. so I'd rather overskim on this one, I can always adjust the flow to the skimmer.

when the water is clean it will stop producing.  Plain and simple.

That is my opinion also.

I ran a AquaC EV150 on my 90g for a couple of years and it would only skim alot some of the time. Once I moved to a 150g it skimmed all of the time (and a lot of it). There probably is a point where you can overskim, but I don't think any of the normally available (ie: relatively affordable) skimmers will do it. One thing a big skimmer will do nicely is to oxygenate the water.