Blue and yellow tang have ich.

cliff

Saw it this morning. I set up my 26 gallon hospital tank. And I am waiting for it to fill up. I bought some copper medication and I'm going to quarantine them for a month. Am I doing this right? Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just acclamation of temp, you should be good, if you need more rm i pick up a clean empty tank yesterday you can use as well 46 gal, just check temp make sure you pre mix if adding anything to the saltwater, pump and heater and a little light should be good, but im new to all this as well, my tank both had a big cycle then a real short cycle because i messed with them scaping and such moving rock fm my 29 to my bigger tank, but soon as they started to recycle i did water change all good now for about 10 days

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've never used copper so I can't comment too much on your current plan.

I'd personally use tank transfer method (TTM) if the fish are still healthy enough to survive another week. Transfer four times between two tanks every 72 hrs, making sure to dry tank and equipment completely between transfers. You must have two sets of everything...heater, pump, tank. Twelve days total and no more ich. If the fish ever exceed 72 hrs in any tank, you must start the whole process over.

If it's gotten so bad that they don't look like they'll survive that long, I'd do chloroquine phosphate. It works very quickly for relief and very easy on the fish... not as harsh as copper. NLS sells it in powder form, just follow the directions on the bottle. You can find it at RCA and Aquadome usually.

521e31ec561a4bba72fd4ad2e2082343.jpg

Keep in mind there are no test kits for CP so if you do a water change, add back in what you took out so the concentration always stays the same. For instance, if you change out 10 gals of water, replace CP dose for 10 gals that you removed.

Also, CP degrades under UV light so no light over your QT. Ambient room light will do.

Any update on the fish?

Just wanted to point out, this only solves half the equation. You still have ich in your display tank. 76 days fallow will rid you of ich in the display tank and give you an ich free tank.

If you prefer to run an ich maintained tank, which I ran just fine for 12+ years now (until I tried a powder blue tang), then just make sure your fish aren't stressed and feed them well.

You can always find other methods to help alleviate ich. UV had the potential to keep populations low if the proper sized unit was installed and its also of good quality but that gets expensive fast. The unit needed for my 215-gallon was $400+ new to give you an idea, and its bare minumum size. I probably could have gone one more size up. I wouldn't bother with any of the cheap brands for UV, just junk. You'll just end up with an algae clarifier instead of something that can actually kill ich protists.

Supposedly ozone works well too if you plan to run it down the line. I don't know too many who run ozone in their tanks though.

Saw it this morning. I set up my 26 gallon hospital tank. And I am waiting for it to fill up. I bought some copper medication and I'm going to quarantine them for a month. Am I doing this right? Any other ideas?

Any update cholder? Did you end up using copper?

I used copper. .30 for 2 days. Up to .5. On the third. Spots are gone. I'm going to leave them out of the DT for 2 weeks. Then introduce them back in one at a time over a week or two. I agree. From everything I have read, it's nearly impossible to keep ich out of the tank. It's just about keeping the fish strong enough to battle it. I'll keep y'all updated. Thanks for the help.

I'm glad the spots cleared up! Yeah, just keep them healthy and you'll be fine. Ich can still be in the tank but it won't overwhelm them. Only exceptions are probably powder blue tangs and potentially achilles tangs... they have no resistance to ich at all. Though Juiceman has been keeping his achilles just fine in an ich-maintenance tank.

After some long debating... I have decided to not leave my take farrow. I have decided ich will always be present but if my fish are happy and healthy they can fight it off. Talked to a buddy from work. He farrowed a tank for 3 months. QT his fish every time. Ich showed up after one of his fish started harassing another. I'm going to start slowly introducing the fish back into the tank. And get them out of the copper poisoned QT.

Archived