TANK overhaul...need some answers

dieselndixie

Ok, here is the deal - 55g display tank - 260w pc lgihts - 16g sump - 16g fuge - CC - 60lbs LR

I finally went ahead and made my own rock this weekend...turned out looking really cool, no now I want to totally re-arrange my tank (as soon as the new rock is fully cured)

here is my question....I currently have CC and would like to move to LS at the same time that I go in and rearrange rock.

Can this be done without too much disturbance to the inhabitants....will this start another cycle?

what should I do.

thanks

I was thinking of that...putting some regular sand in the fuge now....the rocks wont be ready for about 8 weeks anyway. that sand should be LS by then.

Also, what if I started taking out a few cups of CC each week until the big overhaul....would that make things any easier

pics are coming...I just pulled the rocks out of the sand molds this morning and put them in a wheelbarrow of water to let the concrete harden to its fullest.

my mix was 1 part portland I/II, 1 part play sand, 3 parts crushed oyster shell. they look pretty cool....so far

robert, if you want to try it...dont buy any cement....I bought a 94lb bag, and used about 5 lbs of it...you are welcome to some of it if you like, but I used all the oyster shell in the mix and the molds.

I'm scared of removing the CC one cup at a time. How long has the tank been setup with the CC? Reason I ask, is that if a large packet of sulphur or other poisonous detritus is released when you take a cup out, you'd nuke your tank.

If it was my tank overhaul, I do as Robert suggested with some sand in the fuge. Tank everything out of the tank into holding vats, drain as much water as possible, and rinse the CC out of the tank, making sure to clean out the tank very well after. This way, there is no chance of releasing nasties hiding in the old CC.

Watch the rocks carefully. Using cements and such can leach out lime and other metals into your water. Also could cause huge shifts in PH. I applaud you for making your own rock but as many many threads about doing so say to rinse the rock everday for months. I have always loved the tip about placing it the holding tank for your toilets, it will rinse the rock everytime you flush.

PICS......... Wanna hold a class? I've seen a member on Maast offer to hold a class for $25 a person. Local would be much better.

I have let the rocks "cure" for 24 hours under sand (in the mold) and fro 48 hours under water. This is supposed to make them as stronge as possible.

I know that they need to be in constantly changing water for atleast 6 weeks, then, into saltwater for 2-3 weeks. I will start testing PH after about 6 weeks and see what the deal is.

when I get home, I will pull them out of the water and take pics....I had one that I used a half inflated rubber glove inside of the mold...it turned out very cool.

pics coming

so, no one on here has done this yet? I actually wanted to use the rest of my mikx...make a TON more, and start trading rocks for frags...or something like that. If these turn out to be great, I will post my exact steps.

btw, anyone think of any reason not to cure them in the toilets? that is by far the easiest...let me know if there are any negatives to this....to either my plumbing or the rocks.

thanks

p.s. can I go get some cheap sand from like walmart/homedepot....and just go to the LFS and buy like 2 cups of their LS and put that in my fuge?

also....how deep of a sand bed should be in the fuge....when I do the CC to LS in my display tank....I really only want like 1.5 inches of sand in that.

thoughts?

No you cannot get sand from Home Depot in this part of the county unfortunately. Home Depots in the northeast have access to southdown which is aragonite based but all of the sand available to us is silicate based. Not good to use in a reef tank.

i dont believ the small amount of silica sand on your rocks will harm anything. best to knock most of it off if it is loose. use aragonite sand in your fuge, not extremely deep but up to 6 inches would be ok.

oh and thanks for the offer on the concrete. i should be ready to do mine fairly soon. i will need it in a month or two.

here is a thread about Southdown and alternatives.

http://www.maast.org/index.php?name=PNphpB...light=southdown

Chances are that you will not be able to find Southdown or Yardright in Austin unless someone has a stash in thier garage. CaribSea special grade from a LFS will be the easiest to come by.

you will not need to purchase any live sand, though if you have the opportunity it is benefitial to grab a cup of sand from other's tanks, the more the better, to diversify your fauna. i can spare a cup.

I used some "paver sand" and some carib sand, but that stuff is expensive. The paver probably has silicate in it. I have had no issues with diatoms yet.... It been a few months. I think I roughly used 1 part crushed carib, 1 part paver sand, 1 part carib sand, 1/2 parts acryllic shreds; bound it all together with some Home depot concrete mix. Used paver sand as the molds. No issues with PH or Diatoms. I even have a few pounds of it in one of my 3 gals. No issues yet. That tank has kept better parameters than my other one with all LR.

• 4 weeks later...

there is some stuff that a lot of people have been using up here for a sandbed. it is made by Pavestone it is called pulverised limestone. up here it is hit and miss as to wether Home Depot has it. i know the one near me does, and it is like $5 for a 50lb bag. only problem is that it needs washed REALLY well before placing it in your tank

i will see if i can find the thread on the DFWMAS forum it discusses the pro's and cons will edit my post once i have found it

EDIT here is the link - i have a few as it has been discussed many times on this board

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=15394

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=21034

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=18762

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=16620

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14931